K I'm going to try this breastfeeding thing again...

so what is the best breast pump to invest in?? I only breasfed my son for 1 month. They gave me those nipple shields cause they said my nipples didn't get hard enough??? (sorry TMI) but anyways I couldn't stand them and my son ate forever and then when he was done he wated more about 2o min later all I was doing was sitting there feeding him. But I going to try again this time (i'm only in my first trimester). Thank you.... and any helpful advice would be nice so I can get prepared for this again...

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 5:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped w/ my daughter it wasnt to bad. Its alot of work but totally worth it! GOOD LUCK! oh and the breast pump that i liked was the one i used in the hospital i cant remember the name it was something like Midela or something. You def. have to get a double pump one so you can do both sides at the same time it cuts the pump time in half! You'll be so much happier i think! I wish you the best of luck!
    PregoMamaHolly

Answer by PregoMamaHolly at 8:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• attend a LLL meeting. They love helping pregos. :) a pump depends on what you are going to use it for...and uh, your nipples don't need to be hard to nurse. I'm scratching my head there. Just take it day by day, sometimes feed by feed. I was so focused on feeding my son for at least a year, that when I miserably failed and quit at 2 months it sent me into a deep depression. Even ONE DROP of breastmilk makes you a tremendous success! I took it day by day with my seond son and now we are going strong at 10 months! Read everything you can on bfing, kellymom.com and llli.org are great sites and attend as many lll meetings while pregant to build a good support network. And of course they will continue to help you once you actually have the baby too. You can do this, stay positive, you;ll do great!
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• LLL all the way!!!
    The first stretch is usually the hardest...but once you get a rhythm down it will be the best thing you ever do for him. DO NOT listen to those time-lines people give out. In the beginning, they MIGHT eat every 20 minutes! That's just how it works. Feeding on demand means they eat when they need to...simple as that. It can be challenging...I know I had pain because of positioning issues but once we got past it, we were GREAT! I even gave him formula 3 times because the pain was so bad...and felt awful about it, but never had to again. SUPPORT is KEY! People don't know how breasts work anymore...you HAVE to go to people who have done this and KNOW what they are talking about. Be careful too...sadly, many pediatricians are ignorant of how it works. REALLY learn your stuff! GREAT book that helped me: "So, That's What They're For" :) SO helpful...and very readable.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You might want to ask in the breastfeeding groups. There are a lot of supportive moms there. Look under the green groups tab. Remeber too that babies nurse a ton at first to establish your supply. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thank you so much!!
    ktinaza

Comment by ktinaza (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• yes join the breastfeeding moms group. we will answer all you questions
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Ok I will cause I have lots of them thank you!!!
    ktinaza

Comment by ktinaza (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Go to LLL

the first 14 weeks of breastfeeding really are not easy it is a very big commitment you need to plan to have someone help you clean your home care for your other kids and make meals...after that its super easy and the best for you both but you are correct you'd feed and 20 min later they want more it is how supply demand builds it in my experience does not regulate until about week 12 then 2 weeks to set up a schedule and tada youre there GoOd Luck it is a great thing to commit to
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Im in the same the same situation right now,Im going to rent the Medela Symphony I have heard it is hands the best,and in a few months i will recieve a Medela Lactina from WIC I would see if you qualify b/c these pumps are outragiously expense to buy,But always do your research first......Good luck
    evakeniva4

Answer by evakeniva4 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011