My 9yr old daughter slipped and fell and the doctor prescribed her ibuprofen 400mg tablet is that accurate for her age?

sgordon710

Asked by sgordon710 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Call the Dr. back and ask, or call your local pharmacy.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I personally wouldn't give my daughter that amount so I'd check with the doc/pharmacist.
    Anonymous

• Depending on her weight. You can not dose by age. My 10 year old takes 200-300 mg depending on what it is for. She weighs about 60 lbs. The maximum safe dose for a 160lb human is 1,600/day.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Whoa! no! Not unless she weighs 90+ lbs! A normal adult dose is 200mg!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• That's a big dosage. My husband and I get prescribed the 500 miligram ones and I think that's a lot. When you go to fill it, can you ask the pharmicist if that is normal/sounds right for a 9 year old? Or call the pharmicist beforehand?
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Dosages are typically based on weight, although that does seem like a lot. I'd question the doctor or the pharmacists just to be safe.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Is she on the heavy side? I'd call the doctor to double-check.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• A normal adult dose is 400mg, not 200mg. 200mg is ONE tablet. And you can take up to 800mg at a time (adult) 3 times a day.

She was given the equivalent of 2 over the counter pills to take at one time. How many times a day does it say she's suppose to take it? If its 3 times a day (like the 800mg for adults), then it sounds fine. If you don't feel comfortable giving her that much, see how she does with just 1 200mg tablet (if you have some).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• that is rediculous! I would never give my daughter that type and amount of medication just because she fell! What is it with docters these days? You have one little problem and they prescribe you pills that aren't needed and make the problem worse. Main problem in this world we need to fix: STOP MEDICATING YOURSELFS!!! Whoever I talk to Yah I take this and two of those, oh yah, and three of these for depression and four of those for my backpain. Its rediulous! I have always taken my vitamins and I have never needed to be on prescription medication. Am I the only one? I am just so sick. But dont give your daughter the medication, you would be quite unintelligent if you did so. I mean how bad was the fall. You should give your cdhild strong medication. What was your doctor thinking? Um, hello, but yah I believe its called tylenol or motrin, the stuff you are supposed to give your children.
    SweetlilQtMama

Answer by SweetlilQtMama at 10:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• by the way there was a typo error there. "You SHOULDN'T give your child strong medication"
    SweetlilQtMama

Answer by SweetlilQtMama at 10:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2011