What can I do about our guinea pigs odor???

Our son's have a guinea pig which they have had for almost 3 years. They clean the cage but it stinks the next day...Is there a trick to owning a guinea pig, if so....please let me know what it is. Thanks.

Susan0976

Asked by Susan0976 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Pets

• We have pet rats and they also have a bad smell sometimes (mostly when it's humid out). We use white vinegar to clean their clage and accessories. It really helps!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Thank you ReneeK3, I will definately try that today! We live in New Braunfels, TX and it definately gets humid here...hmmm, thanks for the info.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I've found that cedar chips kinda smell like pee when they're new... so try a different kind of bedding. A lot of people use shredded newspaper now, but I'm not sure if that will help with the smell.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Oh yeah, that does smell bad. I use the CareFresh bedding.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i was told to clean the cage out with bleach water. that kills any odor or bacteria. i used that carefresh stuff too. thats what the pet store told us.
    Crystal_N

Answer by Crystal_N at 1:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• we used to have hamsters, i just got rid of them, smell was strong, i got a cat instead
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 6:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Well, I used to actually take my albino guinea pig to the groomers for a bath.. she put a little bleach shampoo on him.. Yes they can develop a urine odor because they sit in their cage.. Also they do have a gland that become impacted.. check with the groomer.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2008