How many of you had to move in with family because of money troubles?

My husband and I and our two kids just moved back to my parent's house. Thankfully their house is big enough so we are all comfortably living but I can't help but feel like a failure as an adult in a way. My husband and I could still afford to live in a our old place but it was paycheck to paycheck and I want to go back to school and we couldn't afford to do that, plus I want to work partime and be with the kids more also. So we decided to move into my parents house, they are very supportive of us and love to have us and the grandkids here. My husband and I are still paying bills and rent, just less of what we used to because I could not live with myself if I was mooching off my parents. We plan on being here 2 years, until I get my degree and a better job hopefully. How many of you have been in a similar situation? How did you deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• I personally have not but desperately want to! I am a single mom and I live paycheck to paycheck. Living paycheck to paycheck sucks especially if you only get paid twice a month. I would love the opportunity to do that but my family is the opposite and would make me feel like a failure. My aunt and brother both did that and they are very successful now.
    Anonymous

• We moved in with hubby's parents. Not because of money woe's, but because it'd be a heck of a lot faster for us to save for a house and all the furnishings if we weren't paying out the butt for rent and utilities. They have a big house and a housekeeper so it's been nice staying here =) I get lots of help with the kids too so that's a big plus. We actually get out alone to do grocery shopping and whatnot. Of course it has it's pros and cons, it's not all peachy living here, especially the privacy factor, but it's been more of a positive experience than a negative one. Planning on moving out hopefully by this fall! Woo hoo!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I am currently living with my father, and my child is with my husband in another country due to our financial situation. I got my degree two years ago and was offered a decent position in the States, and here I am.. living with my dad.. It is really uncomfortable and I hate it.. I feel like a failure, but this is not unusual.. With this economy I know there are TONS of families who have had to do this.. Unfortunately.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I am sorry Nanixh if you moved out to save that is money woes and that is the sole reason most people move back//
    Anonymous

• I did 6 years ago, but we saved and moved out 2 months later. Haven't been back since(thank goodness). I love my family, but I love having my own place even more.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• We had to move into my grandparents house and were there for about 9 months. It sucked. I love my family but the pressure they put on us was unbearable. DH finally got a job and we were able to get our own place again. I am very thankful that I had their support.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My hubby, son and I have been living with my mom for a little over a year now. It is not the ideal situation, but we are saving money for my husband to go to grad school in the fall. It is only temporary, and I feel very blessed that my mom has room for us and loves us all so much!
    peelie

Answer by peelie at 6:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I did once, years ago. I moved in with my brother while I was pregnant with my kids. I was a single (unwed) mom, pregnant with twins, I didn't have a job at the and I was recovering from a really abusive relationship. I say all that to say, don't feel like a failure as an adult! I got back on my feet in time and if I managed that, I'm sure you all will too.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• We had to move back in with my parents a while back. It's tough since we want to have our own home, but things keep pushing us back farther. I guess it's just how life goes. I try to keep my head up, but sometimes its hard. Best of luck to you are your family <3
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 2:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011