Hives

My 16 mo old dd has a history of hives, usually it's just red marks on her body that come and go for about a week at a time. The first time she had them her doctor gave me bynadryl to give her. We have NO idea what she is allergic too. We have tracked anything and everything we possibly can and haven't figured out what it is yet. Well Dh brought to me at work today and she had a HUGE welt across her eye and a quarter size one on her belly. He gave her her meds. When I came home at 4:30 she was getting a welt on the other eye, the one on her belly takes up the whole bottom half of her stomach now, and she has big welts on her legs. They're actual welts, not just red marks this time. Of course her doctor was closed by the time I got home. So I'm not sure if I should take her to the clinic tonight or not. She has had the runs since Sunday, and she is SOOO fussy today! She's not weezing or anything. I just really really don't like the welts across her eyes like that.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Most doctors have someone on call if the office is closed. Call and ask what they advise. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'd call her doctor, explain what's going on and then follow the doctor's advice. OR I would just take her to the ER.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yeah, most dr offices do have on-call nurses. Of course, all the ones here just tell us to go to the ER, so if you feel its an absolute emergency that cannot wait till tomorrow, and you can afford to, go ahead and take her to the ER. It really sounds serious.

PS Have you tried taking her to an allergist?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• it might be too young to take your baby to an allergist. you need to be diligent about a food diary, it can be hard. also, be sure to always know what you are putting on her skin, detergents and soaps.
    milk is the most common food intolerance/ sensitivity, if you want to start with that. gluten, nuts and oranges are also fairly common.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Page your doctor tonight, and watch her to make sure that she is still breathing okay . . . that is a very serious reaction. I also would sleep with her to watch her.

If it appears like she is having trouble breathing. call 911.

This may be a good indicator that she might be a good candidate to visit with the allergist. Stinging insects and penicillin are often big culprits. Has she been on anti-biotic at all in the last few weeks?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Call your local 1800 aska nurse and set up an appointmet with an a allergist in the mean time try oatmeal baths and bendryl cream or hydrocorisone
    auggirl11

Answer by auggirl11 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I gave her a bath last night and this morning she is hive free.. So we will see how it goes today.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I am glad they are gone . . . My daughter had similiar hives issues. We finally had allergy testing done and it winds up that she is allergic to potato, of all things. We don't eat very many potatos, but the shredded cheese that I used in the kids food actually listed a number 2 ingredient of potato starch!
    Since I cut out that cheese, we haven't had any more hive incidents, but she still has seasonal allergies because she is also sensitive to grasses and flowers, like most people.

When she gets old enough, it may be worth a go for you guys. We went to a pediactric allergist. He is actually a pediatrician who specializies in allergy, and they were great with her.

Good luck, and I am glad she is better!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2011