Silly i have to ask...(and don't know what category to put this in)

this is gona be probably the weirdest dumbest question on here ever, but...
i have a D in this one class and tomorrow is the last day to drop. I was thinking of dropping. My teacher smiled at me today and he always does, so is that a good sign? Or does that not matter whatsoever? The smile was a great surprise since I thought he didn't like me and since he is so disrespectful to EVERYONE. I don't know if that matters when it comes to my grades though...i'm sure most of you will say NO, teachers will ONLY grade you on your work and performance. But is this really true?! I've been to practically every class of his so does effort count? What about a friendly attitude? I have turned in my assignments unfinished because I do not have time to do them, period!! I am going to two schools, and am taking 18 units. Do you think I should drop? Or chance it and possibly end up with a D? Mind you, this is a physiology class which is a prerequisite for nursing and SUPER important that I understand the material. Admitedly I don't understand it all and I feel i deserve taking it again. Help!

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 6:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• I will tell you that a smile would probably mean nothing in regards to your grades, unfortunately. Although I had some professors I really got a long good with, and were quite friendly with, I still didn't do good in every class. There were several classes I had to drop because it just wasn't working out. I figured it was better than failing. So, use your judgment, but if it came between failing and dropping, I'd drop.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It sounds like you are taking too many classes.

Who knows why he is smiling at you? maybe it's a smile of sympathy?

I would drop and retake it when yo have more time to do the work.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Well, if it's a prereq. you're probably going to have to retake it anyway with a D. It's the same expense, isn't it? If you think the free time would be better to have for your other assignments, just drop it and retake it when you're not taking so many other credits.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would drop it. He actually has a requirement to give you a grade based upon a point scale that is pre-approved, so there isn't much wiggle room, even if he loves you. . . . unless, of course, he is just an unjust type.

If you don't think you can raise that grade right now, drop while you can.

It has been my experience that professors can be fond of you and really want you to succeed, but they won't jeopardize their positions to give a grade that was not earned. They just hope that you will start to prosper.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• He may grade on a curve. I remember this ridiculously hard Organic Chemistry class I had. I failed almost every test, I certainly never got better than a C on a test. But I did great on my labs and I went to every class and I ended up with a B in the class.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You lost me at "I have turned in my assignments unfinished because I do not have time to do them, period!" ...

I don't know exactly what you're looking for but if you don't do the work (regardless of the excuse), then you deserve to fail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Ah the trials of youth!!!! Are you kidding me?do not have time to do assignments?Then why are you paying for the class?Sounds like some self trouble here.Set your goals and just do it.Just do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2011