I'm stuck....( little long)

I have a sil , her daughter is going to a ballet school out of state in Pennsylvania all this summer. She is going with her as a chaperone. She also has a 15 year old son and her husband works 12 hour shifts. She asked me to watch him all summer. I already have three kids of own. I wouldn't care if it were something more important I guess I could say. She always puts her daughter before her son and I feel sorry for him. I told her how I feel and she said if I don't watch him she will just leave him by himself. Should I just go ahead and watch him to keep him from being by himself all summer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• As long as it wouldn't put a strain on my family, i would watch him. Unfortunately, you can't change her feelings. The best you can do is to help the boy out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• If he will be helpful and not a burden than I would help, but thats just me, if he would cause problems and stress than no I wouldn't. Poor kid :0(
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You could offer to watch him part of the time when it's convenient for you. I know you love your nephew, but an extra teenager is...well, an extra teenager, they eat a lot, cost extra when you do things with your kids, and can add to the chaos in your home.

I'd offer to keep him occasionally, but they really need to make better arrangements.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I feel sorry for her 15 year old son. Hopefully he has something fun to do at some point this summer, maybe a camp or something. She should try to get him into some sort of summer activity. Could you suggest this?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I did suggest it, and she said she couldn't afford it. They were going to have to have money for Penn.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Hmmm, Seems a 15 yr old should be able to watch themselves.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Offer to just check on him. He's 15 and plenty old enough to look after himself His Dad will also be around. WHY should you have to play Mommy to her boy?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• How old is he? And, if you said no, stick to it, otherwise she knows your number and will use it everytime!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm sure he has lots of friends. I'd leave him home to watch himself. His dad will be there intermittently, you could also offer to check in on him and have him with you part time?
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• maybe watch =him a few days?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2011