Are Extreme Couponers in fact Hoarders?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Shopping

• I saw that on TV the other night and yeah I think it is definitely hoarding.  I coupon, but I only buy the things I need with a coupon.  That one guy could open his own store. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Kind of. I've seen the extreme couponing shows and those people just buy whats on sale or whatever they have coupons for. Why do u need 32 bottles of mustard???
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I think a few of the people featured on the show are hoarders others only stock what they think they need in case of an emergency(ie losing a job). I think the only time i really goes into hoarding is when they can't/do not use what they have before it expires.

There are some of them that donate a portion of what they get(or a large portion like the man) to non-profits. Other's are expressing a need to hoard because they have gone without in their life so they seek the security of having more than enough.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I personally think it is a way of hoarding. Buying 50+ of something just because it is a good price and storing it for who knows how long, can't be a healthy habit. It's not like it won't go on sale ever again before their 2 year stash is gone.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• They could be but if they limit what they buy, not necessarily.

If someone buys a ton of diapers and they don't even have kids, they are hoarding IMO.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• from what i heard...100 yogurts, 60 some mustards...yes i would call someone THAT
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It depends on the person. And how you look at the situation. The few episodes I saw, they actually did use everything they bought. Except the twins... One of them was stock piling diapers for when she does decide to have a family, lol.
    TheLadyGray

Answer by TheLadyGray at 6:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• after a certain point they are. In the extreme couponing show they show that these people have more than 3-4yrs of supply. when it gets like that you are. I could see maybe 1-2 years of supply. after that point your a hoarder
    minki111

Answer by minki111 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• one of the shows i did see that i really appreciated what the guy did. He bought supplies for 1000 troops. its great to see people helpping out
    minki111

Answer by minki111 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The ones on the tv show are. A lot of normal couponers auditioned for that show before they changed the name to "extreme". At that point they were still lying and saying it would be a show about how to save money. All the people who weren't hoarders and didn't spend 60 hrs wk working on their couponing were rejected through the screening process. Some made it close to the end, but didn't make the cut because they refused to work the scammy kind of deals they wanted for the show.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2011