Any ideas on cooking lamb?

I want to make lamb for Easter, but I've never cooked or even ate lamb before. Can anyone tell me what's the best cut and preparation? I want my kids to enjoy it as well. Any suggestions?

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• ok, I am Greek and although a vegetarian now, I have cooked many a leg of lamb for Pascha. DO NOT USE MINT OR MINT JELLY...this was first started to mask the flavor of spoiled lamb...it is gross any way you slice it. Get a leg, have butcher debone if you want, make deep cuts in it and pushh a clove of garlic in each slit, make at least 10 slits all over. Peel some potatoes and cut into rounds about 1/8 inch thick, cut a onion into rings and seperate the rings. In a roasting pan lay potatoes and oinion, sprinkle with oregano and olive oil. Place lamb leg on the potatoes and onions and rub with olive oil and oregano and if you have some FRESH rosemary, lay some sprigs in the pan too, but only if you have fresh. Roast until desired doneness, it can be rare if you like and the potatoes are soft. Take lamb out and stir potatoes in the juice from lamb, cook for another20-30min if needed, sprinkle with lemon juice and serve...
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• 1 (3 pound) leg of lamb
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    Directions
    Cut five slits in the meat; insert garlic. Combine salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder; rub over meat. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Broil 5-6 in. from the heat until browned; turn and brown the other side. Turn oven to 350 degrees F. Add 1/2 cup water to pan. Cover and bake for 25 minutes per pound or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F for medium or 170 degrees F for well-done. Remove to carving board and keep warm. Pour pan drippings into a large measuring cup, scraping brown bits. Skim fat; reserving 1/4 cup in a saucepan; add flour. Add water to drippings to equals 2 cups; add all at once to flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes more. Slice lamb and serve with gravy.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I dont use mint jelly it ruins the taste of the lamb for me. I do however use horseradish sauce.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• gak on the mint jelly- IMO. O think the Greeks do the best with Lamb and the Chinese do it with Duck.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=roast+leg+of+lamb+recipe&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8
    I just googled it.......... Lots of suggestions. The Rack of Lamb is actually the best, But it is very expensive. I would use a leg of lamb for Easter dinner. Any combination of Garlic, Oregano, Rosemary, Mint, Lemon, and Dijon Mustard are pretty standard.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I love lamb! Especially in a tagine. So, why not try this? It's too long to post, I think, so I'll add a link...I've made this in my crockpot. It makes for a sweet dish and its delicious! Don't do what I did though, and add too many apricots, because it'll be too sweet!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/moroccan-lamb-tagine-with-honey-and-apricots-recipe/index.html

Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• lamb chops
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• thanks for all the suggestions. What would be the best cut to use, other than the leg?
    Proverbs_31

Comment by Proverbs_31 (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• no
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2011