Did you kow that over 1/4 of all old 1-800 numbers are now phone sex lines?

Records obtained by The Associated Press show that over the past 13 years, a little-known Philadelphia company called PrimeTel Communications has quietly gained control over nearly a quarter of all the 1-800 numbers in the U.S. and Canada, often by grabbing them the moment they are relinquished by previous users. As of March, it administered more 800 numbers than any other company, including Verizon and AT&T. And many, if not most, of those 1.7 million numbers appear to be used for one thing: redirecting callers to a phone-sex service.

Dial 1-800-Chicago and instead of reaching a tourism hotline, you will hear a woman offering "one-on-one talk with a nasty girl" for $2.99 per minute. A similar thing happens if you punch in the initial digits of 1-800-Metallica, 1-800-Cadillac, 1-800-Cameras, 1-800-Worship or 1-800-Whirlpool.

Sad? I think so. The world is becoming dominated by sex.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I find it more disturbing that someone would pay $2.99 per minute to listen to some stranger talk dirty. There is absolutely no telling what the person looks like.

That makes me think of one time when I was playing online poker. Some guy asked about me, and out of sheer boredom I answered his question as to what I looked like. I was extremely vague, "5'10, blue eyes, brown hair." He said "You sound hot." What the...? For all he knew, the rest of that could've been, "missing all my limbs, 800 lbs, covered in acne from head to stub."
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Sadder still is that they recycled the 800 #'s because all the 900 ones were used up with sex lines.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• surprisedSad,isn't it?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• LOL, I learn so much useless information on here! I come up with the best conversations at work thanks to you ladies.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Sick, they should limit 1-800 numbers. Who the heck needs thousands of them
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I find that silly and disgusting all in one.

*Sigh* no more 1-800 numbers for me! :P
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I can't seem to get past So what? The majority of websites are porn related. The majority of DVD releases/sales/rentals are porn related. Not seeing why this is surprising?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have heard of two people being redierected to an alternate line by a reputable business and getting a sex hotline by mistake LMAO. One was my dad who was given the number by his mortgage something (poor guy almost keeled over when he heard the menu LOL) and the other was a friend who was given the wrong number by her insurance company....
    JeniJonas

Answer by JeniJonas at 4:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well I find it surprising. WHo ARE these people who are so obssessed with sex ? It s not too encouraging. Kind of disturbing.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i think it's funny....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2011