How long do you have to have Mirena before Tricare will cover getting it removed?

I have had my Mirena for 2 years. I was told by the dr on base I had to have it in for 3 years before Tricare would pay for it to be removed. Another girl told me 6 months.

jbishop928

Asked by jbishop928 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Health

• Don't know for sure but they just took mine out in Dec, at 18 months. If that helps!!
    willngingersmom

Answer by willngingersmom at 7:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Mine was surgically removed also.
    willngingersmom

Answer by willngingersmom at 7:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It probably depends on the reason and how the Dr writes it on the claims form. Your best bet is to call Tricare.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• no idea
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would call them
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• All they have to do is pull on the string, as long as you have no complications. There shouldn't be a problem with having it removed, especially if you are already having a pelvic exam... If it requires surgical removal, it should be covered no matter the length of time that you have had it, as surgical removal means that something went wrong.
    onecuteladybug2

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 2:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2011