Whawill the dotor do if baby is meassuring bigger? I am only 24 weeks and 2 days

I went to the doctor today and he said the baby is messuring really big. I am only 24 weeks and 2 days. So he wants to see me back in 2 weeks to meassure the baby. What happens if the baby is meassuring big? Especially when I am only 24 weeks? I was 138 before getting pregnant this time around and I am 183 pounds :(

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• measurements are not an exact science by ANY means. At 36 weeks the estimated my DS at 8lbs 8oz... he came at 42 weeks weighing 7lbs 9os, all the while my fundal height was actually small for gestational age.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Measurements are really just guesses. They can be off by 2 weeks. If more than that, they may want to monitor your sugar levels as Gestational Diabetes can cause a baby to be larger than normal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• my first was at 8.1 second was at 8.7. He told me the baby was probably going to be about 9 pounds if I had her on my due date. I was induced 5 days early with her and she was 8.7 so my doctor was pretty close with my second
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I second the gestational diabetes angle.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Not sure on the measuring big but at my last appointment I was measuring a week smaller, I'll be 30 weeks on Tuesday and that is when I see my doctor, so hopefully I've caught up by then. Wishing you the best of luck :)
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 8:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• *How* "big"?
    As far as normal measuring, within about 2 cm of the gestational age is average for fundal height.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• he didn't say how big he just said that the baby was meassuring really big. He told me last month the baby was already meassuring that she was going to be bigger than my second baby which was at 8.7
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The size of baby shouldn't be relevant.
    If there is a health problem to look into then of course you can investigate.
    Are you healthy~ have you been in the previous pregnancies?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• yes I am healthy and I have been in the previous pregnancies. Shoot I am so much as to not allergic to anything lol. I haven't ever been overweight or anything like that either.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2011