My DD will be 9 in May so... adult content

When do I have the sex/period talk with her? I don't want to volunter the information if she's not ready to handle it, but I'm afraid if I wait for her to ask me questions she never will, and will get info from school/bus/kids. Any suggestions?

daina82

Asked by daina82 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• do it now...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I will do that talk with mine between 7 and 8.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Do it asap
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 8:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would start with small conversations that will open the door for her to ask questions if she has them. If you know someone pregnant, ask her what she knows about how babies are made. Get a book and have it ready to help you give explanations. Give her small amounts of information and let her digest them. She may come to you with more questions, or you may have to bring things up with her. Nine seems young, but they say some girls are already starting their periods at that age, and you don't want her to be afraid or embarrassed if it does happen early.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• To open up the discussion, why not get a book about puberty? She should be reading anyway and it would be a good way to starrt the conversation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I was raise in a home that sex was talked about from the start. There is a great book called "Where do I Come from" it very tasteful and a great book I think for any kid. It makes it easy to have the period talk when she gets closer to that age. But the most important part is to be open about, if she asks a question give an answer do make sex a taboo subject.
    Audiedody

Answer by Audiedody at 8:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I believe there is a book out there by the authors of american girl dolls. You could get it and read it first then give it to her and let her know if she has any questions she can talk to you.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I read through the American girl book and it was very good. We learned in 5th grade and 9 is close.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• now my oldest turned 9 in January and we talked about the basics--nothing graphic or anything just educated him on what is right and wrong and that if he feels intimated by anyone to speak out and let someone know
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:10 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I would start now. Really the sex talk shouldn't be a one time thing it should be many conversations over time.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 5:05 PM on May. 22, 2011