What motivated your career choice?

Were you more motivated by the salary or was it something you were passionate about?

Would you take a job that made really good money but made you miserable?

My sister is in school to pursue being a crna and I can remember listening to her in HS talking about how she needed a job that would pay her enough money to be "secure." She hates all her classes and is constantly stressed and I know that being a CRNA is a stressful job. It's her life and I support her but I hate to see her go into a field that seems to make her really unhappy just so she can make 150 a year when she could probably live very comfortable on half that and find a job that makes her happy.

To each their own Im not judging just wondering

kayslay

Asked by kayslay at 8:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• My first career was as a restaurant owner. It was my passion. Then I owned an industrial cleaning service. Did only large offices. I liked that to. Now Im a Real Estate Agent, and I was motivated to do this by my SIL who did it and taught me the joys of helping others find a home and to be a much better agent than the greedy corrupt ones out there doing it today
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I do it because making movies and anime and manga is my passion.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I am a teacher, and honestly, it kind of fell into my lap while I was in school for business. I tutored as a workstudy and loved doing that so I ended up substitute teaching when I had the credits to help pay for my education and continued to tutor. When I finished my bachelors they offered me a teaching position at the college, and I used that to pay for me to go back to school for my degree in education. I am good at teaching, which kind of surprised me, and I enjoy it, which surprised me even more. LOL.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It was something I was passionate about.

Answer by Bmat at 8:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I never really knew what I wanted to do until my three youngest siblings came into my life. They are adopted and seeing/hearing everything they went through made me want to help other children find a good family and home.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 8:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I just fell into my job, I never really thought about a career. (I didn't go to college) I was looking for a job and applied at an insurance company and 13 years later i am still there, even though there are days I am frustrated, I am generally happy with my job. Even now if I had to choose a career, I don't think I could pick one, I am not passionate about anything that would make a career.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I must till you she probably would not start out at that pay. Going to College or any school can be stressful but bare with her. She will be fine. It sounds like a challenge to her right now but when she finishes school she will be proud of her self.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have had jobs that I loved but was poor and ones I hated and was doing well finiancially. I don't think being poor or miserable are worth it. I think people should take the time and find out what they really love and go for it wholeheartedly. I really mean that. Life is meant to have joy and if you aren't happy you aren't living and if you are poor..... I don't care what you say you are not happy.
    EboniSears

Answer by EboniSears at 1:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm now in a career that I am passionate about - music. I'm a producer and own a building that offers rehearsal space and recording studios; however to get to this point I worked at menial jobs that I despised but I had to do it to afford what I have now. I have a bachelors degree in both English literature and American history which I am also passionate about, but while decided what to pursue in college I looked at other options and simply couldn't attempt them because I had no real interest in it. I could have pursued something less interesting that offered more money in the long run but I know how my mind works, if I am not interested in what I am studying I fail miserably. If I wanted to do it I could become a teacher, given my degree in English lit but I have no interest in teaching and therefore have never pursued it. (continued)

anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 2:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• (..continued) I understand the desire for financial security, especially in this economy but I lack the focus to commit to something I am not passionate about. I think the best thing you can do is find something your sister is passionate about and perhaps help her get involved in that activity as a hobby to balance out the stress of a job she doesn't like.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 2:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2011