• In the Spotlight:

What is the best way to store breast milk?

I unforunately had to return to work after 6 weeks and I am committed to breast feeding my Lily however, the milk that I have pumped and put in the freezer when it thaws is bad. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?

Audiedody

Asked by Audiedody at 8:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you freezing it in bags? are you cooling before you freeze? Are you freeing with in a few hours?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• How are you thawing...
    But_Mommie

• yes, I am using bag and I am cooling before I freeze but not freezing right away. when I 1st started pumping I was not getting enough to freeze from one pumping so I would wait until the end of the day.

When we thaw we have tried on the counter and in the frig. Either way the same result.
    Audiedody

Comment by Audiedody (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• How do you know it is bad? The consistency is different after it has been frozen. The "fat" in the milk does not mix as well when thawed and kinda looks gross but it is fine. I pump and freeze A LOT b/c my sons do not latch on (they are preemies). I am on month 9 pumping every 3-4 hours everyday...can't wait till it's over!!!!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 8:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I agree with wendy. How do you know it is bad? BM can be several different colors too depending on what you ate. When it is cold to, fat goes to the top (like oil and water) just warm it up and roll it back a forth DON'T SHAKE it. Make sure your putting it in BM bags not Ziplock bags and even a 1/2 an ounce is enough to freeze.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• It sounds like you are doing everything right. AS the others mentioned it will separate when it is frozen and thawed. It can be normal even in properly stored milk for it to have a slightly sour smell when thawed. This is also not an indicator that is has gone bad. Here is a good website with a lof of information about pumping, storing and thawing milk. I encourage you to read it and book mark it!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Definitely look into that more. I don't think your milk is actually going "bad" ...it sounds like you need more info. Those websites look great!

Also...I am a BIG fan of using those cheap glass gerber baby bottles INSTEAD of the plastic bags.
    #1, they are reusable and hygienic.
    #2, there is no risk of plastic chemical leakage.
    They also can be put directly into warm water to thaw or whathaveyou.

Good luck...and be SURE you are getting your legally allotted PUMPING time at work!

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• ...do you think it's "bad" because your child is rejecting it? That happened to me...and it was because of the bottle! He just wanted breast! You may need to try a new bottle...
    You really have to think of everything :P
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Thank you for the advise!

A few of you have asked how I know it is bad. Well, I tasted it and it tasted like bad milk and was acidy. I was afriad to give to her. She takes the bottle great so that is not the problem. I did not feed it because I was worried that she might get sick!
    Audiedody

Comment by Audiedody (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2011