Medical assit. course online?

im dying to go back to school now and i really thinking of goin into the medical field but if i want to start school soon it would have to be online since im a stay at home mom and dont have the money to pay for daycare or a babysitter. id found like to online school that have medical assistance online but you know there has to be hands on and they say i could go to a place in my area to get that practice while doin the online course. but im worried it wont work out for me, does anyone have any idea about doing online courses? i love to help others in anyway possible thats why i went to school first to be a hairstylist and make others feel good and look good.

SO I THINK IM  TO WAIT IT OUT GET A FULL TIME JOB FIRST,FIND BABYSITTER THEN DAYCARE, THEN  GO TO SCHOOL.....WISH I COULD WORK FULL TIME & SCHOOL FULL TIME BUT WOULD MEAN NO TIME WITH THE LIL ONE...:( BUT I CAN'T DO ANYTHING BUT TAKE MY TIME ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in

• Medical courses usually require a Lab- which you have to be present to. But your local college SHOULD have grants/scholarships for daycare programs. The college nearest me has daycare on site, because its a child development class for students to take. They also give scholarships to parents trying to further their education that pays for ANY child care facility. I would call your local college admissions office and see about getting more info
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 8:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Be very careful with taking medical assisting classes. Do your research on what it takes to become cerified- and then make sure the school you pick has the right accreditation for you to be able to get that. I was going to go to school for this in Utah and found a few schools that did not have the specific accreditation that they want for you to get cerified. The schools were gorgeous, but I"m not sure I could have actually gotten a job if I had gone to one of them. Just beware there are ones who will say they ahve it- but you need to research and make sure it's what you need. I told one school that they were basically full of it when they kept calling me after I backed out on them (before totally committing). And yes- as far as I know, you do have to work in an office for a certain amt of time
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• *excuse the typos ;)
    charlotsomtimes

• i say go for it!! could any of your family support you in this and watch the kids? you can do most online but for the remainder of the time during labs, you can have a friend watch over just for 2-3 hours a week. that shouldnt be so hard to cover for you, i hope! well good luck, and i would stay away from Kaplan and other unaccredited schools. Its all about the community colleges and universities...:)
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 11:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i agree with charlotsomtimes. My sister did an online pharmacy assistant, and its not worth the papaer it was printed on. Best Wishes and Good Luck.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 6:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• go through a community college or university distance-learning program, not just an online-only getyourdegreequick kinda deal. They are usually a ripoff and not nearly as credible to someone hiring. That way you will have somewhere designated to go for lab requirements, you can get in touch with other students to meet new people and possibly build a support system. (P.S. even some of the online schools are "accredited" but often times they do that to accept incoming credits but theirs aren't transferable to a different school.)
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 6:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

Next question in
WYR

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
I feel like a bad mommy!