What to do when your toddler won't eat?

My daughter (3yrs) is very picky and my son (21 months) use to be a great eater but now they are very picky and sometimes don't even touch their meals. Even if it's a simple meal. I will switch up meals all the time so the don't have the same thing often put it doesn't always work to get them to eat. I don't want to have the very same food they do like over and over. What do you suggest I do?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Always offer one thing you know they will like. Continue putting the stuff they don;t like on the plate and encourage them to try it but don't force the issue. They will not starve, especially if you are always offering one food you know they will eat. Don't make it a battle. When they are old enough to negotiate better, your 3 year old may be there, mine is, then it's one 'no thank you' bite of everything to get seconds of what you like. Its not a threat or a battle, just the rule. I don't even make mine swallow it but it has to be tasted. Taste change all the time and they will never know if they don't keep trying it. Plus ever heard of an 'acquired' taste? For toddlers that can be almost everything!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• try pediasure if you worry about them not getting enough nutrition, otherwise they will eat when they are hungry
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• IMO. I think they are fine as long as they are eating something. Maybe give in at breakfast. That is typically my 'give in meal' I sill short order breakfast only.

Des the 3 year old taste the other stuff yet or are you not there yet with her negotiating skills? IMO it's just not unreasonable to ask them to put a bite in their mouth even if it isn't swallowed to get seconds of the Mac and cheese.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• my son is very picky eater too. i get him to try new things by telling him to take a bite of the new food item and hen he can have a cookie or pop sickle or something like that. but usually he likes just grilled cheese or hotdogs and if he doesnt eat what we have for dinner i end of making one of those things for him later to eat. but i get him to at least get him to take a bite of something new and he gets a treat. then he gets the food he wants, hope that helps
    Shorty616

Answer by Shorty616 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I wish you luck. Right now my dd is eating anything and everything on her plate. She is always getting something new to eat at mama and pops house too.
    TeresaM35

Answer by TeresaM35 at 9:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• That's exactly what I do But_Mommie but its not working for my 3 yr old. Its getting so frustrating and my husband thinks I'm to harsh when I wont make them something different
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Sometimes. I will take her milk away and tell her if she tries 1-3 bites she will get it back
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2011