Step Parent Open Adoption?

Is this even possibly? I thought about offering this to BM because it wouldn't really change from what we have now, she just wouldn't have to pay child support and I would have the legal rights. Any idea if this CAN be done?

sadfairytale

Asked by sadfairytale at 10:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Adoption

• My son's father came back into his life about a year ago after being gone for 4 years. My hubby had adopted him while the BF was gone. We have an "open adoption" now he calls and sees him every few months. A judge typically will not terminate a mother's rights if she has any kind of relationship with the child. Remind her that if she willingly gives up her rights then she will not have to pay child support and you will treat it as an open adoption.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It can be done if she agrees to it. she'd be mad to do it though. If you dont need her to pay child support then why make her. sounds at best like bribery, at worst blackmail to me.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2008