Can you lose your salvation?

My mom and I had this discussion a while back, and I wonder about it. I don't think you can, but I would like others' opinions on it.

andiecheyenne

Asked by andiecheyenne at 8:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with your thought - you cannot lose your salvation.

Christ said "never will I leave you or forsake you", also that once saved no one could "pluck us from his hand".

Since we are saved by grace, and not by works; if it was otherwise, we wouldn't have a shot!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• If you live your life running head long after the devil and the devils way you sure CAN loose your salvation.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• My mom asked our pastors, and they all said that you cannot lose it. I suppose I just wanted to be sure? It relieves me, in a way, because since I was saved and baptized I've done wrong things (I know Christians aren't perfect), but sometimes I feel scared that because of what I've done since then that was wrong, it would affect it and I kind of worry it'll affect my child after she's born because her father and I aren't married yet.
    andiecheyenne

Comment by andiecheyenne (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• i believe you cannot.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 9:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Even as a Christian, I don't believe in salvation, in the need to be saved sense, or that we can ever lose God's love, or our place with Him. I believe we all return to Him when we die....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I used to feel that way. I thought I was doomed, in less words. I visited a Nazareth church a few summers ago. I thought they believed the same things baptist do, but they told me the only differenece between Nazareth and Baptist was the Nazareth believed you could lose your salvation, and Baptist believe you cannot. I am Baptist, and after hearing that and thinking and rethinking it over, I still believe you cannot loose your salvation.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 9:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No one can take it from you, but you can by your own free will give it up & renounce your salvation.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Bandgeek then by your belief ... Why did He die then?

OP: No I do not believe we can lose it as in having it taken away from us. However we can choose to walk away.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• "Bandgeek then by your belief ... Why did He die then?"

Haha, I think that's another discussion entirely, but I know I've said many times before that I don't believe in the Atonement, and instead just believe that his death was merely the result of the commitment he had to the message he had to share, that he was devoted enough to that message, and to God, to see it through all the way even to death. I don't believe any kind of "ransom" or "atonement" was necessary, and for it to have been would paint a very different picture of God than I believe in - a picture I would have a hard time accepting as a Superior Being worthy of devotion and admiration... But again, lol, that's a whole other topic. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Only if you turn your back and wash your hands of Him.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2011