ShutUp!

My 21 month old says this almost non-stop. He knows what it means too. Daddy says it a bunch but it picked it up from me. One day our fire alarms was going off and I was trying to hush it. We can't tale out the wires or it alerts the fire department. I kept pushing the button and said shut up you stupid thing. Well he was next to me and he heard it. I didn't realize he was next to me and surprised he heard because the alarm is very loud. Anyways I can't get him to quit saying it. I never say it around him. I always put it hi in time out but it isn't working. Any suggestions.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did you tell him you used that word, but shouldn't have because it's a bad word? The other thing is kids say and do things they know they're not supposed to for a reaction, and though i'm sure he doesn't enjoy time out it's a reaction and attention (though negative). i would just ignore it for awhile and should think he'll forget about it.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Do not make a big deal of it. Do not respond at all and do not use it anymore. It may take a little bit, but with it not getting a reaction which includes a negative reaction, he will stop after a bit. He is using it for the response.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• When my son says something he should I just change the words... Just like if they were announcing the word incorrectly. :) Good luck

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• kids are parrots, especially at that age. If you put him in time out, make for sure, that he knows he shouldn't say that. And that Mommy says that, and she shouldn't.

You can't tell him not to say it if you do. He's too young to understand that. So, if you say it, you need a time out.
    Seriously, he doesn't "get" that adults can say things but kids can't. he's too young to grasp that concept/hypocricy.

So at this point, you need to make a decision, to either stop doing it yourself, or keep doing it and punishing him for doing it.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 9:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• shouldnt*
    kiansmom0423

• tootoobusy has the right idea here
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• like the others said, hes doing it because he knows that it grinds your gears, same with swearing act like its not a big deal (usually) and you're no fun anymore they stop.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• saya
    I just said I havent said it around him since then
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2011