Overwhelmed with afterschool activities

I have 4 children 3 in after school sports and with homework,housework,making dinner and everything I'm overwhelmed almost everyday,(DH works long days,no other help).how do you other moms manage everything when the kids have sports/games in the evenings?

sarah389

Asked by sarah389 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Honestly, that's what parenting is all about. I've got 4 kids. Two are twin boys. All were involved in soccer, softball, ballet, marching band, & more. One thing that helped me was preparing meals over the weekend that I could pop in the freezer, pull out during the week, serve & run. There is a Once a Month Cooking group here that I belong to that might help you out with some great tips on planninng ahead for those busy weeks. Once a month cooking club http://www.cafemom.com/group/24970.  I also belong to a group called Recipes for Busy Moms whre we all exchange ideas & recipes to help us all save time. http://www.cafemom.com/group/107096.

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I just have two and feel that way. I have no idea how anyone manages with more than two; I admire all of you that can do that.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Team up with other moms with kids the same ages, to help get to sports and back and stuff.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I have 4 kids and they all play soccer in the summer which we help to coach . I had a full time job (lost it due to new laws in feb) Basically I just try and keep everything in order. School work comes before all else. Dinner might be later than normal and usually I have my DH cook that while I direct the children. I understand that it seems overwhelming at times and at times I wanna pull my hair out but to see my children play their games and laugh and smile even if they don't win is my reward.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 9:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I limited after school activities to 1 per child. With 4 kids that was still a lot of running around. It didn't seem worth it (these were classes through our park meeting 1 hour each week for the kids to fool around). Everyone was stressed. The kids were having to rush through their homework and I was exhausted form doing everything. And my husband was home. He refused to take them saying it was "my thing" since I signed them up. He doesn't do things with the kids that involve him leaving the couch.
    This year they are in nothing and we are all much happier. They don't feel they are missing anything. I was never involved in a single after school activity and I don't feel I missed out. My kids spend their afternoons outside playing with their friends and I can relax.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Its called multi-tasking, and I do it everyday, seven days a week, and I love it because its keeping my weight down.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• get your kids involved as much as possible and have them help with different things
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would find other mothers to carpool with etc.. I don't know how you manage to be in 2 places at once, also with summer coming up perhaps you could get them all involved in the same thing> like swim team, or horseback riding lessons,, good luck momma, summer is almost here. Also, perhaps you could find someone to clean your house once a week or send your laundry out,, they have great wash and fold places that are not super expensive.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We have to schedule everything including homework.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011