Would it be wrong?

I just got out of a shelter (I am a victim of domestic violence) And into a great housing program . I have my own apartment and they are paying a large portion of my rent. I was blessed with two brand new bike for my children through this program. I didnot know I was getting them and am very greatful, but the 12 inch bike is way to big for my 19 month old son. It still has the tag on it. Would it be wrong of me to take it back to walmart and exchnage it for something smaller like a trike that can he ride now? Or should I save it for his 2nd birthday? adivce please

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would just hold onto it until his birthday. Try to find a really cheap trike on Craigslist.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Oh and I commend you for getting out of your situation!
    kc932

• Congratulations on your new life.
    If I could not afford a trike for my little one I would exchange it for something he can ride now.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• First of all- congrats on getting your life back on track for you & your child. That's fantastic! I am glad you were able to get the help you needed. If you can, I would go to a children's resale shop or some garage sales, and get him something to ride on for this summer. Hang onto the new bike for next year. They grow so fast, and at this age, he would probably enjoy something for age appropriate (like a Cozy Cupe) Enjoy your new start! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• If you are taking it to exchange for something that fits the original intent but actually fits the child, I see no problem. It would be like taking back size 4T clothes to get 24month, IMO.

If one was to take it back b/c it didn't work for you now and got something else altogether (took back 4T clothes that didn't fit him and bought new perfume for you, or something), that's getting stickier.

I say go for it. They wanted your son to have something he could use as you are continuing to work your way up and out. Best of luck to you as you keep striding forward :-)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Congratulations! Save it for his second bday, a trike won't last as long and a lot of the time you can find one cheap on craigslist.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Congrats. I would keep the bike for your son. He will enjoy it soon. Good luck with what you do decide to do..
    TeresaM35

Answer by TeresaM35 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Congrats and if your in the ct tristate area i have some children toys/clothing i could give to you.....i would say keep it and depending on where you live there are several hand me down shops or once upon a child shops where you could get a trike for much cheaper. that trike will be out grown faster than the other bike.
    bxdiva80

Answer by bxdiva80 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Absolutely wonderful that you had the strength to rebuild your life for your kids. I left a similar situation just a year ago with a 1 yr old and a newborn. I KNOW how scary that moment is...IMO hold on to that bike, and check craigslist or if there is a freecycle group (a website where people post used things that they would just be throwing away so that someone who will get use from it gets it for free) I have had wonderful luck on both websites and was able to get both of my children barely used toddler beds. Good luck with and again congratulations
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 10:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• u should save it, because they out grow trikes really fast and a bike cost more.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2011