What are you more likely to do if a law was passed against something you feel strongly against?

Gather a rally and protest, live with it, do what you please anyway, or let other people deal with it ? Its not anything in specific but generally. WWYD as an individual?

SMITxsM2

Asked by SMITxsM2 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Civil disobedience. Assuming it's something that blatantly disregards constitutional rights.
    Anonymous

• That's a tough one. I'd have to say write letters, rally & depending on what it is, maybe (gasp) break the stupid new law. I mean I guess any time we speed or look at that text while sitting at the light, we just broke the law. So I guess I would take my chances on that -again, depending on what it is. But one thing I would never do is NOTHING! (BTW it's important to have a good memory too, when it comes time to vote!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Depends on what it is honestly. There are already laws in place against things I feel strongly about - gay marriage, polygamy, marijuana - just to name a few... And I do participate in boycotts and rallies, fund raise and so on. But if it were something such as vaccines or religious freedoms, I would most likely fight it while I totally ignored the laws and packed my stuff for a move to Canada.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• There are already laws in place that I strongly disagree with and no matter what I do ie. rallies demonstrations are going to change it. What pisses me off is when a law takes affect such as, no talking/texting on cell phone while driving and you still see people doing it. We don't have enough police officers to enforce these laws so they're being broken consistently. But you can bet I will remember who you are come election time!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I agree with Kathy. They fill up our jails with petty offences, but do nothing to enforce all these new laws they put into place.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I was wondering because my neighbor got ticketed for having a flat tire on her car that was parked in her drive way that went flat overnight. She also said they will ticket her again if the police drive by again and find its still flat, but the car needs mechanical work and hasn't been drivable but she working hard to gather money for, which will take another couple of weeks or so. Even after she explained her situation It just got me thinking about just dumb laws in general especially when she said "oh well" she will just be ticketed. I asked this question because I hear people say too many times oh well and just live with attitude that bother me because without support to change things people just let stuff that isn't right just happen.
    SMITxsM2

Comment by SMITxsM2 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Its the "silly" laws or what do they call them? ordinances? We were burning leaves (a few years ago when it was still legal) it was getting dusk so we were "watering it out" (as law is no burning after dark) someone called the FD - here they come sirens blaring and used the BIG HOSE to "put out an illegal fire" We were fined 250$! I fought it - thank God OTHER neighbors stood up for us that we were putting it out and it was NOT dark. We've also been "warned" about "blocking" the sidewalk (passes thru the drive) while hooking up our boat.......man I am so glad that guy moved out that peeked thru the curtains then you'd hear the siren.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 11:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• There is probably an ordinance in your town that makes it to where junk cars can not be on driveways. It is like that because people don't their neighbors junking up their neighborhoods. Your friend needs to at least get the tire fixed or she is going to continue getting tickets.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Yea that's exactly right she needs except its not a junk car its actually nice, you wouldn't be able to tell it isn't running. I can see if her yard was junky and unkempt but its beautiful. I think it totally wrong especially during times like these!
    SMITxsM2

Comment by SMITxsM2 (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would have tried to keep the law from being passed to begin with. That is why it is so important to contact your representatives. Don't just write/call the person from your party - all of them. You can write the representatives from other districts and states too. Then, if it passes, I continue to let them know of my displeasure with their vote and the law.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011