Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Passport question

Going through a rocky divorce and my ex is refusing to sign off so that my daughter to get a passport so that we can vacation. Can a judge make him especially sign if his reason is becasue he cant get a passport because he owes back taxes to the government?

Answer Question

Asked by bxdiva80 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Relationships

Level 3 (27 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Are you saying he won't sign the divorce papers? If it goes to court, he will have no choice but to sign the end. But, he can certainly drag it out by disagreeing with everything you ask for. Even if divorced, most countries require a notarized letter from the parent that is NOT going on the trip giving permission for the child to be taken out of the country. I spent 10 years with a major airline. Passport or no passort, if there wasn't a letter from the other parent stating they are aware & allowing the child to leave the country, that child didn't travel. PERIOD. You need to check the child documentation policies of the country to which you are travelling.

    Answer by specialwingz at 9:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Good question.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 9:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Yes, you can take it to court but it usually takes forever for anything in the court system to go through. Maybe if you have your lawyer "threaten" to go to court over the issue he will happily oblige. He will have to go with you to the passport application office and you will need a notarized letter from him to show the airlines stating he is aware of your daughters travels. Good luck

    Answer by wendydays at 9:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • thanks for the info ex does not back down to threats. So my child will never be able to travel like i did when i was younger and still do. this is the dumbest thing i ever heard he has never been a father and now he can hold my child back rom seeing teh world, culture and learning new things. this is crazy. i understand they want to make sure one parent doesnt run off with the child but even if she gets a passport she will never be able to go on vacation? so feed up with this crazy man ...sorry to vent...again thanks everyone :)

    Comment by bxdiva80 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • My husband was able to get having a passport in a Custody Order for my SD, but only because he's military and we got stationed overseas. He also had to have it Court Ordered that he is to be allowed to exercise his visitation as long as he isn't in a hostile country (meaning we don't need BM's written approval). However, if there's no legitimate reason that a child HAS to travel, I don't see a Court forcing it. We even had a hard time, and it was just so my husband could see his daughter.

    Answer by laird6372 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.