Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Im having my 2nd baby and not sure to do it vagianl or by c-section?

I had my daughter 2 1/2 years ago via c-section (she was breech) and i am now pregnant w/ my 2nd. I am very curious if there gonna want me to have another c-section or if I am going to be able to do it the "normal" way :) Has anyone on here had a c-section and than had a natural birth?

Answer Question

Asked by PregoMamaHolly at 9:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 5 (76 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I had all mine naturally. But, my BFF had 4 kids. The 1st was a c-section. The subsequent 3 were vaginal. No problems at all. You can ask your doctor what he/she thinks. But, with c-sections today, most women are able to have vaginal births after c-sections.

    Answer by specialwingz at 9:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • It IS possible it is called a VBAC (vaginal birth after ceasarian). My friend had twins boys via c section then a girl vaginally. Good luck.

    Answer by AdrianaS at 9:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • my dr made me had a repeat c/s...but some dr's allow a to your dr about it and see how they feel about it :) congrats!

    Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • IMHO once a c section ALWAYS a CSECTION the risk is too high for VBAC why take the chance?

    breech is not a GOOD reason for a c section that is called CYA medicine by incompetent physicians.... it is sad you were not taught correctly the first time

    Answer by MELRN at 9:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • I had a VBAC (vaginal birth after Cesarean). It was wonderful. My (scheduled) C-section went about as well as it possibly could, no regrets or feelings of inferiority or anything, but the vaginal birth was still SO much butter. I was back to 100% in a matter of days instead of weeks, didn't have to worry about my toddler bumping my incision or getting upset because I couldn't lift or play with him. Much preferable to a C-section.

    The biggest hurdle to getting a VBAC is finding a supportive provider. Many doctors won't do them because of insurance issues, or they just don't want to be bothered. You may have to do some searching, and maybe some fighting, if you decide a VBAC is what you want. But it's worth it, in my opinion. :)

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • And for the record, the only added risk with a VBAC is a slightly increased chance of uterine rupture (0.7-1.5%, depending on where you look), and that number includes everything from asymptomatic ruptures that require no intervention at all, to ones resulting in maternal or fetal death, which are VERY rare. Also keep in mind that rupture is possible even in first-time vaginal births with no history of uterine surgery. And there are risks involved in major surgery (like C-sections), as well--though less if it's scheduled instead of unplanned. You just have to do your research, on both sides, before you make your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • I really had to hold my ground with my OB before she would take m seriously about wanting a VBAC with my 2nd. Unfortunately soon after they found a pretty big cyst on my ovary (10cm) and I agreed to the C-section so they could remove it. I swear if I didn't feel the pain and finally see the thing I would have thought they made it up!
    If you wat aVBAC you will have to fight for it. Not everfything your doc says is law!

    Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • My first was an emergency C-section. I only found out that it was an emergency when I was pregnant with my second. I knew it was emergency-like conditions but that was it. I went to the doctor that delivered my first child to got her opinion about a VBAC. After a LOT of humming and hawing and other information I finally nailed her ass to the fire and got her to tell me more than just the facts. She gave me a 50/50 chance that my second would be a successful VBAC. With our own common sense, and her advice against it my daughter was born by planned C-section. Good thing too. I was having contractions that I wasn't feeling as they prepped me for the surgery (before any pain meds). My daughter would NOT have fit through me. Her and my son's head were the same circumference at birth.

    If you want a VBAC tell your doctor that's what you want, as long as it's safe for you and your baby.

    Answer by Rosehawk at 9:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • VBAC are far safer than multiple c-sections. The uterine rupture risk is a scare tactic and not truth. The chance it the same no matter the birth.

    Breech babies CAN be born vaginally safely.


    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • I had to have a C- Section with my 3rd because she was breech. I could of had my last natural but I got preeclampsia so they had to rush us to surgery or the results would had not been good but this was only because the doctor did not pick up on the preeclampsia earlier on not even after having to go to hospital around 6 to 8 times in a very short time span. So on my last time I woke my husband and told him something was arong that I hadn't felt the baby move in over 24hrs. And after getting to theL & D again and them giving me that alful medicine to stop the contractions again they decided to draw blood an when they got the results back they told my husband that if I had waited 1 more hour that the baby and I wouldn't have made it. Thats my story but yes unless you have another breech or anything else that would cause them to have to do another c-section then yes you can have your baby natural.

    Answer by WendyTwiFan at 10:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.