Can you ever have too much IRON!!!

I am pregnant and of course taking prenatals. I have been having very dark green BMs every day. I know iron can give you that, but does it mean that Im taking in too much iron,. Is it bad or unhealthy? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It could be that you're taking in too much. But you would feel MUCH worse than just yucky poo's if there was waaay too much in your system. My mom has something where she has too much iron, I can't remember what it's called, but the same thing happens to her as if she didn't have enough. She gets really tired, headaches, feels very sick.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If all the extra iron you're getting is just prenatals, you should be fine. Sometimes prenatals do make your poo green. You would definitely know if you were getting too much iron. You'd be really noticeably sick and you hair would be falling out. There's not enough iron in one pill (ever) to make you overdose.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• yeah you can have too much iron. i've heard that too much iron can make you constipated...i didn't take my prenatals when i was pregnant, not even flinstones.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Don't know about while you're pregnant because I was still deficient despite 3 doses of iron supplements a day but I do know that its very easy for a baby to overdose on iron and it can be very poisonous for young children. I've even heard that you're not really supposed to give infants formula with added iron although I and everyone else with babies I know have and haven't had a problem.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It's possible, but not very likely, especially when you're pregnant! For some women, it just makes their poo green and makes them constipated. When I was a teenager I took a supplement and had green poo (though my levels were perfectly normal). When I was pregnant, I took a prenatal plus two extra iron pills a day (as my hemoglobin was very low) and was NEVER constipated, nor was anything green. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It's possible to overdose on iron, but taking regular prenatals would not cause that. However, as pp's have said, it can affect your stool, constipate you, as well as irritate your stomach. If it seems to be a problem, you can switch prenatals
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:27 AM on Dec. 3, 2008