What should I do?

Tonight my husband punched our daughter in the back because she slapped him for pesstering our youngest child. He has never acted out of anger over something like this before and I feel lost on what to do. I feel strongly that I should leave him for the safety of our children, but I also know that I could be overreacting. Since it is the first time this is happened. I don't know what has gotten into my husband. He is alot more moody these last few months then he has ever been. So lost on what to do. Any ideas ladies?

soonmommyof3

Asked by soonmommyof3 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• Um, you aren't overreacting. I would've picked up my kids & left without thinking twice. Good Luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• You need to talk to him about this b/c it is a huge problem. I would make him try to seek help on his issues/mood otherwise if he dosent I'd leave. I think you are right to maybe not jump to anything at the moment & believe me I dont condone violence in any way but yes speak with him.

Also talk with your kids too make sure they are okay. Ask how they are feeling about all of this. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would calm down and then talk to him about it. how old is your daughter? I would certainly tell him that he needs to be the ADULT in the situation. He could have hurt your DD, and if she needed medical attention the doctors are requierd by law to report what had happened to her.

That said, if he abusive to you, I would seek counseling/help. Good luck and be careful.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 9:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• BTW I personally would leave my SO in a second if he ever lay a hand on a child like that. However, its up to you as to weather or not you stay & try to work it out or leave. This is his only warning though & make that clear otherwise you need to be out of there.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• To Adriana. She is 11. He has never been abusive to me or the kids before. Tonight was the first time he has ever hit one of our kids out of anger. I know she slapped him and it was wrong, but his reaction to it was just as wrong. I will talk to him and her about it. Thank you for your advice.
    soonmommyof3

Comment by soonmommyof3 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would have taken the kids and left.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 9:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• That is very mest up! How old is your daughter? Did he say anything afterwards? If that were me I would have packed up & left that second before I did something I'd regret later.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 9:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• THank you Mel. We will talk about it. Right now he is outside with her trying to make up for it. My father use to do the same thing and would still hit again out of anger. I just hope and pray this won't become a constent thing. If it happens again we are for sure gone. NO amount of talking will change my mind. It's hard for me not to back our bags now!
    soonmommyof3

Comment by soonmommyof3 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Glad to hear it is a first and hopefully last time. I would also talk with DD and DS and remind them that hitting each other is not an option. We all have to live by respecting one another. Have a great holiday this weekend.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 9:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• THank you Adriana! You too:)
    soonmommyof3

Comment by soonmommyof3 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2011