These damn allergies........

I have tried sudafed, benadryl. Is there any good allergies meds out there? I am miserable right now.

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Health

• Zyrtec is good. AND....

AN END TO HAY FEVER: Two apples a week offers defense against allergens. The credit goes to each apple's megadose of quercetin, a bioflavonoid that stabilizes the body's mast cells. This hinders their release of inflammatory histamine, nixing sniffles, wheezing and itchy eyes.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 1:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Allegra is now over the counter. It works on my allergies and mine are brutal right now. Its actually part of my breakfast of 2 cups of coffee and an Allegra pill.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The ONLY thing that works for me is Zyrtec D, it has to have the pseudoephedrine in it or it's like I take nothing. I have found that using a saline nose solution or Netti Pot works wonders too. I take a shower at night and stay inside during peak times of the day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• sounds like you're probably congested, if you're using sudafed. have you tried zyrtex-d or mucinex-d? you have to sign for both, but they are OTC, and work great for me, much better than sudafed. also, i would suggest regular nasal irrigation, with a Neti Pot or similar item. its kinda nasty and gross, having all that gunk come rolling out of your nostrils, but its awesome to be able to breathe, too!

don't forget Vicks..old-school product still does wonders!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• tyfry..great minds!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• wow...i know how this is with being a nurse for an allergy doc...i have seen plenty of this over the counter meds we recommend zyrtec or allegra..for prescriptions we give out xyzal or some sinus rinses and with the sinses rinses i know alot of pharmacy carry it too..if you would like some xyzal samples just inbox me your info and i will send you some samples....if you are congestion invest in a vaporizer machine if it's not in the budget buy some vicks vapor rub put in a pot with hot water over the stove and water a few mins and stand over the stove and enjoy
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 10:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• zyrtec or allegra
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• The saline nasal rinse is what turned the tide for me. It sounds weird, but rinsing the pollen out of your sinuses can make a huge difference.

I think I'll try the apple solution too. My DD has taken to eating apples to keep her weight down. Her sinus headaches have all but disappeared -- we didn't make any connection to the quercetin. Hmmmmmmm. Thanks @ceciliam.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011