Question...

My BIL is currently living with my in laws. He bought their home from them 15 years ago. They are both in their 80s and get social security. My BIL wants them to get medicaid....and care for my FIL who is in bad shape physically and mentally. He takes my FIL's ss check and puts it in his bank account each month, roughly around #1,200 and MIL uses her check to buy food. My question is, are they eligible for medicaid? Do they need it? Or should they just stick with medicare? Also can BIL deposit FIL's ss checks in his bank account? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yikes, what a situation. Your FIL has to sign his check for it to be deposited. I'd try to have a conversation with your MIL to ask if she knows, what's happening. If your FIL has mental issues and he maybe not understand that his money is being taken - Then,yes there is an issue. It all depends on thier income and assest, as to if they'd qualify for medicaid. It would cut down thier medical bills, as medicaid usually pays 100% apposed to whatever percent medicare pays.
    BUT if you upset your BIL, who'd take his place in taking care of your FIL. He is taking on the responsability - so if you think is "kindness" is equal to the money he's getting - is up to you and other family members.
    It's a tough situation to be in.. Best of Luck..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Where you mentioned your FIL is in bad physical and mental shape Medicaid will provide him more services. Since they don't own a home, the only other thing to consider is any other assets. I don't know exactly how it works in your state (unless you're in NH) but my advice is call, or have them call your local IL (Independent Living) Center.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would contact the Social Security Office in your areaand askif they could get Medicaid.
    Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• MIL knows about her son depositing that check....She needs help caring for her husband since he can't bathe himself, or feed himself, and he can't use the toilet so he has to wear diapers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• When I worked in mental health, I know a lot of folks had both medicaid and medicare. Medicare was billed first, I believe, then medicaid covered most of what was not covered my medicare. It would be a good way to reduce his medical costs if they are to high to afford, and I know that the state will look at the medical conditions at times, because my parents weren't "broke" but when my brother had cancer at 16, the insurance they had wasn't enough and they were able to get medicaid for him to help through that time.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2011