I need help!

I'm sorry if this is kinda long but I really need advice for a friend of mine. He is in a very unhappy marriage and tried to leave. He left her for about a month and a half before she told him she was pregnant. She's threatened to keep the child away from him if he doesn't come back. Even told her that he's in love with another woman. He wants to leave but feels he has to stay to be a part of the child's life. He has two other children (not with her) that she treats like absolute dirt. She couldn't even tell him their middle names. What rights does he have if he leaves and files for divorce?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• dicored or still married, he's the father and has rights. I stayed with my now, ex for a few years. Trust me staying in a relationship / marriage just for the kids - is not good for the kids. an attorney may advise him not to file the divorce until after the baby is born, but he does not have to stay with her. BUT he should not hook up with another woman, ect... Until after the divorce just to keep this stuff out of the divorce and court later. He'll have time for that after going to court being divorced and enjoying visitation with his baby.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Documentation is key! See what he may have a witness too, better yet what he can have in writing from her. He needs to be proactive in this situation and best bet is to consult a lawyer.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• She has no right to keep the baby away from him. If she actually tries, take her to court. Seriously. She can't keep baby from him :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 10:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I would talk to a lawyer and see what the lawyer has to say. I wish him the best of luck.
    TeresaM35

Answer by TeresaM35 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Is it right? No. But I have to say, that is the risk you run when you leave your wife and then tell her you are in love with someone else before you're even divorced. I guess he can sue for visitation, but I wouldn't expect her to be sunshine and giggles about it. I mean, how "in love" with someone else could he be if he was still putting it to his wife within the last couple months? I don't blame her for being pissed at the one that left after he got her pregnant. If the man I have been with for the last 14 years knocked me up, left, and told me he was "in love" with someone else...I wouldn't exactly be happy and rational.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2011