Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there anything my DH can do about this?

So my DH is a Sheriff's Deputy, has been since last September. He's also in the Navy Reserves. According to the books, the county is suppose to pay him for 10 of the 14 days he's gone to his AT every year. He went to the county manager's office today to see why he hasn't received that pay yet, as well as to inquire about his vacation days. When he asked, they told him they didn't have to pay him and that he didn't have vacation days because he's part time. He's not - he's full time, and has been since day one. Even after showing them proof of his full-time status, they've refused to do anything about it. He doesn't even qualify for benefits (according to them). We're not overly concerned about benefits because we have them through the military, but....still. They told him that they can "start" him right now, and that in 60 days he'll be elegible for benefits and vacation/sick/comp time. WTF? He's been there for over 8 months. It seems to me that they should correct their mistake, give him what he is owed, and move on. They refuse, and the Sheriff is acting like a knot on a log and won't really back him up. So, for anyone who may know the answer - is there anything he can do about this?

Not sure where to put this, so to the powers that be, if you need to move it, go ahead.


Asked by DusterMommy at 11:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

Level 26 (27,467 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • The hardest part of this is the policy may have extreme details and limits. However if in the policy it states that he is to be paid 10 days out of the 14 that he is gone at AT then he is entitled to the pay. If they argue then he needs to contact ESGR (Equal Support Guard and Reserve). You can google that and they will give you all the info. Make sure he has the policy when he calls so that they will have all the information. They will also if it goes to this point offer free legal help. I know this because my DH works as a Correctional Officer at our local jail and he is in the Army National Guard. His policy at his work is that he is entitled to 120 paid hours for Military Leave a year. After it runs out he does not get paid for any military leave. Like Last year he had a 21 day AT and he didnt get paid for half of it! Please feel free to msg me if you have any other ?s. I know all about this stuff!!

    Answer by annabelle092810 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • I would call my local represenative's office and ask for help.

    Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • I would get in touch with a lawyer! There is NO reason that this should be happening. Visit my site so it doesn't cost you an arm, a leg and your first born child!

    Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

  • Contact ESGR, they have been a lot of help with my husband's previous job.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011