For Pagans...

This comes out of a post in one of my groups which I HIGHLY disagree with. BUT, since I don't know everything, I will simply ask...

Do you consider Judaism, Buddhism or Islam to be Pagan paths?

I can see how Buddhism can be called pagan, as in non-Abrahamic. But unless we are talking a mixed path like Christo-Pagan or Kaballa, I have never heard of anyone within an Abrahamic path being referred to as Pagan.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, aside from the non-Abrahamic clause for Buddhism when appropriate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I agree with both of you (as usual lol)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• IMO, Buddhism is debatable, but Judaism and Islam are not Pagan.I say Buddhism is debatable because I've heard some people say that's it's not necessarily JUST a religion, but can also be just a philosophy that you live by, which anyone can follow regardless of their religious beliefs. I don't know a ton about Buddhism, so I can't say whether or not that's true, but I have heard some people talk about it that way.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I used to practice Wicca, so I'm answering from that perspective.

Judaism and Islam - not pagan, but any definition
    Buddhism - maybe pagan by being 'non-Abrahamic', but I don't usually think of it as 'pagan' now nor did I in the years I was Wiccan.

Now, I tend to say neo-pagan to mean any nature based religions rather than pagan which might just imply non-Abrahamic, and I would potentially include Taoism in that definition (and maybe Buddhism, but not as likely). Taoism is definitely nature based, typically pantheistic, and focused on things like balance (yin/yang) and ideas that parallel well with other nature religions, but generally I would think of it as an eastern religion or philosophy rather than pagan or neo-pagan. Otherwise, I think of paths like Wicca, witchcraft, neo-Druidism, and various Celtic, Egyptian, Greek, German, etc. traditions.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Judaism and Islam, No not Pagan. Buddhism, yes I do consider Pagan as it is non-Abrahamic.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Do you consider Judaism, Buddhism or Islam to be Pagan paths?

Judaism and Islam both follow the Old Testament so how are they supposed to be Pagan? Whoever said that is an idiot and has no clue about world religions. 

I asked my hubby that question and he just rolled his eyes at the stupidity of some people. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Islam no. As for Jewish I think the confusion maybe because there are so many names for their God " Elohim, Yahweh, Adonai, El Shaddi" Those would all depend on the tradition and dialect.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Oh...duh...no Jewish people were not polythesitic. I read a study where scholors were saying that ancient Jewish did not give reguard to other gods but that they are mentioned in religious text. The scholors are considereing that early Judiasim was more like a henotheism than a true polytheism: Henotheism means that one may believe that, while there are many gods, only one is worthy of your devotion.

It definately does not mean they practiced polytheism. And then again this is just one study.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• hmm..I agree with you on this one Sabrina
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would put Buddhism under the Pagan umbrella but not the others.

They fall under the Abrahamic faiths so I would not think of them as Pagan unless, as you said, they were eclectic in some way.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 22, 2011