Christmas trees and cats...

Any suggestions on how to keep my cat out of my Christmas tree?

SarahJoy13

Asked by SarahJoy13 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pets

• Oh, someone posted this yesterday. Dang, I can't remember what the advice was. LOL But almost all the posters said their cats play in the Christmas tree and it's kind of a problem. Hopefully, someone will give you an idea as to what you can do.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• LOL, no. I tried to keep mine out during the day, and I'd hear a funny noise around 4-5 am and see her climbing the damned tree. ;)
    I sprayed her with water during the day hoping it would help, but it didn't. You could just keep kitty in a different room, because I think that's really the only way it'll work.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 10:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• nope but when you find one let me know.lol my cat likes to play with the decorations on the tree or tries to climb it
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:49 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/33201/boards/read/6694152/Cats_and_Christmas_trees
    Here's the thread
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• our cat likes the spray bottle. we have to use a Can of Air ( like the ones you clean the computer with ) to get her to stop doing anything. she likes to climb our tree as well and as soon as she sees me with the air can, she runs. is it possible to keep your cat out of the room where the tree is when you're not home??
    tylersmommy0508

Answer by tylersmommy0508 at 8:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• believe it or not I only have to use a squirt bottle of water... I have 2 trees up and 3 cats...
    I brought out the water bottle and the minute they got near them .... squirt... lol... they now know what the little blue water bottle looks like and when mommy has it... they have not been in or under the trees since I have put them up 1 week before T-day...
    I have heard you can put tiny mothballs in cloth, tie and hang at the bottom of the tree... or around the base of it... I never used it thou, bc the water bottle has done wonders....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• haha too funny about the spray bottle. i shoulda tried that last yr when my morris was little. he knocked most of the ornaments and broke the spheres from the bottom of the tree!!
    misslonely

Answer by misslonely at 12:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My cat loves our tree too...it's just a cat thing. He bats at the ornaments and the other night he knocked over the tree and busted a bunch of ornaments. I locked him in the bathroom all night so he couldn't do it again and he hasn't touched the tree since. He must have gotten the picture..lol.
    rosie2484

Answer by rosie2484 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2008