ADHD, IEP, and SSI?

My 5-year-old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD (combined: hyperactive, impulsive, inattentive) and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder). She is in an all-gifted-and-talented magnet school, with an IQ (averaged from multiple tests) of 125. (performed by psychologist) . Although she essentially is smart enough to complete assignments at or above grade level, she has LOTS of trouble in school. I never thought of my daughter as disabled, but the school is recommending an IEP ASAP.

Basically, my daughter has social, emotional, and behavioral issues that severely interfere with her ability to learn. For example, she will start crying out of nowhere, with little ability to control it. She gets very angry and vindictive, and takes her aggression out on others. It also takes multiple/numerous attempts at completing assignments, and she often will not comply with adults' requests. At home, there is no difference. She is very defiant with me. She has to be told many times to complete basic tasks, and never without grief. One severe incident that happened recently was that she placed her hand on a red eyelet of the stove. I was cooking. She asked me why the stove was red. I told her, "It's hot. Don't touch it. Move back." I turned the stove off and went to dump the pot out, and the next thing I know, my daughter had placed her ENTIRE HAND on the stove! She wanted to see for herself...

My question is, how likely is it that my daughter would be approved to received Social Security/Medicaid benefits for this? The medical bills are stacking up, and I'm really struggling with the monthly bills with all the doctor's visits, medications, and time missed from work. Would her higher IQ disqualify her, or does it seem that there are enough issues to have a viable case?

Thank you.

Ammy

AmmyTheOnly

Asked by AmmyTheOnly at 12:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Health

• Two of my grandsons just got on it. It didn't take long to do it. IQ doesn't have anything to do with it. The diagnosis does.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:07 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It also depends on how much money you make. They don't care about your bills, they just care about your income.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm poor. I grossed about $17,500 in 2010...
    AmmyTheOnly

Comment by AmmyTheOnly (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It depends on what your states standards are for "poor." Just go for it, the worst thing that can happen is you don't get anything.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• go down to your local health and human survices office...and apply. you can also look into getting food stamps and child care help. medicaid will cover up to 3 months worth of bills, if your qualified for it. it tends to be an all day process at least here in texas. you can file for it online and then eather bring in, mail or fax the paper work that they will require you to bring. (sorry for misspellings..2am here!) google medicaid and your state, it should bring up the website.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 3:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It is VERY difficult to get SSI for ADHD/ODD; having a diagnosis alone isn't enough. From what you describe, her case is not severe enough to warrant benefits BUT you won't know until you try. I wish you luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I am currently applying for my son who has ASD. I havent heard anything about ADHD/ODD but from what I have heard, with childrens applications, it helps to get every shred of evidence that you can together when you apply. Show them the burden that the condition has put on your family. Catalog the meds, the doctors appointments, etc. Good luck!
    AustinsMommyMI

Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 4:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You don't have to show them anything, you sign a form and they get all of her medical records. I applied for SSI for my daughter (she was born with 40% of her brain) and didn't have to provide anything except for proof of income. We were accepted because of her medical condition, but denied funds because DH makes too much. I wish they would take more of your bills into account when they did things. The only luxuries we have are basic cable/internet, and we are still living paycheck to paycheck. I told them "I make too much money? Tell that to my bills."
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 10:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Just get what you need and apply. I had to not only sign a release of medical records, but had to get statements from my child's teacher showing that the disability interferred with their ability to learn. It will take a month to three months to get approved or denied and keeping benefits is an ongoing process as well. If approved for SSI, medicaid is automatic. I'd also suggest putting your child on the CLASS and DADS waiting lists.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• @ 2autisticsmom

What are the CLASS and DADS waiting lists?
    AmmyTheOnly

Comment by AmmyTheOnly (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011