If a child is given up for adoption and is dying of cancer should the birth parents be notified

or at the very least after the child had passed away....

A child I know id dying and he is 11 and is adopted. His parents do not think they need to contact the adoption agency to let the birth mother know.

I know if I had given up my child i would want to know about my baby dying rather then spend my whole life wondering where he is at and what he is doing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Conflicted. Not sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• As an AMom, I would do everything I could to notify the BFamily.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I guess it depends on the type of adoption....my brother...his bio-mom specifically stated "No Contact" she didnt want to know anything about him, didnt wanted to be contacted about anything....unless it was something like that though I think me as the parent of the adopted child would feel the need to let the bio-parents know what is going on....just in case they want to see the child one last time or something
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:24 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Every situation is difference, so i really cant say yes or know. My parents r foster parents and i have seen about everything and sometimes they dont want anything to do with the child. also depends on if it is an open adoption. My brother is adopted an i dont think that my parent would tell his biological parents. Mom does nt care and dad is always in jail for kids he doesnt want anything to do with. In fact he has MS and they both know and could care less. I my parents didnt tell them.
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 12:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would def. contact. because it'd be nice to say goodbye as a birthmom and to have some closure as the adopted kid ya know?
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Wow, I've never thought of that scenario. Very sad. I'm not in eithers shoes but I would like to think I would contact the adoption agency.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would do my best to contact them.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 12:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I didn't realize that there were uncaring birth parents out there, so in that case it is good those kids are not with their bio parents
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think they have a moral responsibility to let her know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If it was closed adoption and birth parents didn't want pictures of milestones or updates, then they do not deserve to know anything else.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011