What do you think about preschool?

It seems like everyone sends their kids to preschool these days but I really don't want to send my daughter! I want to work with her at home and not start her til Kindergarten. Preschool seems like basically daycare to me, and plus, I have two other kids and it would be a pain to always have to either pick her up or drop her off. I have heard that any advantage to going to preschool evens out by first grade. So what's the deal? Why do so many kids go to preschool? Isn't 5 young enough to go to school?????

Bethaleg

Asked by Bethaleg at 12:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I never went to preschool and I did fine in school.

DS never went to preschool and was way ahead of the kids in K....

I think it's just another excuse for someone else to take care of everyone else's kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It evens out when the teachers are teaching to the ones that did not go to preschool or are not as socially or academically advanced. When the greater majority of the students went to preschool or are socially and academically advanced, it often happens that the minority that have not had this can not catch up. Our school has a special class for those children to bring them up to level with the others.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• DD actually needs pre-school. Not only because she needs the speech therapy that I can have provided for her there free of charge (our insurance doesn't cover therapy), but because she needs to improve on her listening skills, which isn't something that I have any clue on how to really help her on...she needs a classroom setting. After 2-1/2 years of pre-school, she's better, but not where she should be. If I just would have sent her to Kindergarten, there's no way she would have been "averaged out" by 1st grade.....with pre-school, she might be.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• One year of preschool helps the kids get ready for a school setting. They learn to wait, take turns, follow directions, work in a group setting, coloring, pasting, cutting, etc. Some kids are able to just jump right into K, some aren't. If your K is all-day, preschool is a good first-step to being away from you for long periods of time. If it is half-day, then she will probably be OK without preschool, provided that you are teaching her things at home before she goes to K. It is a personal decision and what works for one family may not work for another.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My son we to a preschool/daycare for about a year when I was trying to go to college. I pulled him out though when he was 3.5 and I gave birth to his little sister. Then, when he was five, I placed him in a district affiliated preschool before he started Kindergarten. HE needed to go for socialization, and still has some social issues that we're working on. I will NOT be placing my daughter in any kind of preschool, we just can't afford it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It seems now that kinder requires kids to know numbers 1-20, basic colors, shapes and letters before they start school. I felt like my 1st was behind because he couldn't color write or didn't know as much as the kids that had preschool. Because he didn't go to preschool and had that knowlegde and behaviour he did not qualify for all day kinder. Which I would have loved for him to do,because it had more inrichment than the half day inder. Plus the child gets used to being away from home.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• that would be "My son went to......." I have NOT been able to type today.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think preschool is too damn expensive...we couldnt afford to send my daughter so I'm working with her at home....I would have liked for her to go so that I could get a break and she could get more interaction with children her own age but it just didnt work out that way. I don't feel guilty though, I know that I'm doing the best that I can do
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well, OP, I have the same feelings as you, except I have only one child. My daughter will be 3 in July. She can count to 20 in English and Spanish. She is bilingual and just even smarter than I ever imagined someone this age could be with an AMAZING memory......sometimes too amazing...lol. I really think that preschool is daycare at this point. My one sister sends her child to preschool and she is only 4 months older than my daughter...but she also is a sahm with a "mommy's helper" and a cleaning lady.. so.....? I take her to the Science center(we have a membership) and other places to socialize with other children. Now granted, she hasn't been in a setting without ME.............but I'm in no rush for that and she has the rest of her life to be Mama-free. Sure, it prepares them for school, but they will adapt anyway, so preschool probably won't happen in this house....I believe she is learning here just
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Oh and my daughter learns taking turns, crafts and more at church.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011