Does anyone else feel like their puppy is like having another kid in the house?

I have an 11 month old pitt/german shepard mix - he's about 70 lbs and thinks he's a baby. He, of course, wants to play all the time...he'll take all the toys out of his toy box as soon as I'm done cleaning the house, he jumps into the tub when the kids are bathing, he'll steal clothes from the hamper and drag them (and leave them) around the house, he wants to cuddle all the time, sometimes he'll listen the first time you give a command - other times he'll act like he did nothing wrong and "suck up" by ducking his head, licking, cuddling, etc. He has his own bed but insists on sleeping in either my bed or with whichever one of my kids is sleeping on the bottom bunk - when he sleeps in my bed he steals all the covers like my kids do. He'll hide when he knows he's in trouble, just like my kids do. I love him to death and find it funny that raising him is like raising my own kids (who are 6 and 5 years old).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pets

• I am glad that my DD is 13, she can take care of herself when she wants a snack or help me out.
    Our two dogs are 75 & 95 pounds. They insist on sleeping in our queen size bed, try to nose through the trash - (so I am constantly emptying the trash cans by the desks), the smaller one likes to wine until someone comes into the room to lead him to the room one of us are in, they try to squeeze onto the couch when there is no room, and of course they can't stay off of me when I come home and walk through the front door...
    But I should not complain because I am pretty sure they do it because they love me.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 1:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• LOL yes, exactly - my dog can be a pain in the ass but I know he does those things because 1 - he is essentially a baby and 2 - because he loves me and our family.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• yep thats why we don't have one...Lol Love them but who will be training them and taking care of them? MEEEEE......
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• LOL yes, I knew when we got him I'd be the one training him but even though we told the kids we got a puppy for them my DH likes to joke that he was really a gift for me. I grew up with large dogs, as a small child I had a collie/english sheep dog, and in my teens I had a rottweiler/german shepard mix and rottweiler/dalmation mix so as soon as we had a house my hubby knew I'd want a big dog - we rescued a little dog (she's a chihuahua) but I still missed having a big dog and he sort of fell into our laps and I couldn't say no. He's a momma's boy and even the kids know he's my baby.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Lol, I am going through the same thing and I love it. Hubby and I can't have anymore babies, so the puppy is our little toddler it seems.
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 6:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Worse, kids don't chew up items.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• YES Just got our puppy thurs. and it is like having a baby. but i love it
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011