Planned parenthood...a bad example?

planned parenthood is a place where troubled teens can go for help, but have they gone a little to open on their site. On their site they have not exactly given a good example on birth control..for example...on their site they have a list of birth controls and under that list includes...breastfeeding, pull out method and morning after pill. really? none of these prevent pregnancy what so ever...this dosent seem to be a smart way to teach young tweens about preventing. they need to step up a notch and realize that this is no way to teach young girls.

Misslondon

Asked by Misslondon at 12:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Health

• I have nothing even remotely positive to say about planned parenthood. To spare myself 50 vote downs I'll just offer your question a bump here!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• but they also make a large portion of their money from talking young scared women and girls into abortions. And it's in their best interest to talk someone into abortion instead of continuing a pregnancy because if the woman has the baby then there's no money from an abortion and no visits for pap-smears or pills until baby is born. Sorry if i offend anyone, but i don't agree with planned parenthoods views on many things.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 1:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Uh, actually, they serve a lot more than just teenage girls. And it seems you need to do some research on the methods of birth control that you listed. Breastfeeding, when done following the rules of LAM (lactation amenorrhea method) is very effective as birth control (98%), withdrawal, when done properly, is also somewhat effective at preventing pregnancy (up to 90%). The morning after pill, when taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, is at least 75% effective at preventing pregnancy.

The first two are harder than most to use properly, so the myth pervades that they are ineffective. I don't understand where you get that the morning after pill is ineffective, though. Source?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Finley... have you ever been to planned parenthood? No one ever said the word abortion to me. Not once.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• been there many times with friends. 3 of which had abortions and totally regreted it. 1 went in to talk to the dr. about an abortion, her mind wasn't made up yet, she was told they should do the procedure first then he would answer questions afterwards. They didn't want to discuss much before doing it, atleast the dr didn't, he sent a nurse back in, and 1 went in to get the morning after pill and as she was picking up the morning after pill they told her, well if this doesn't work, come back in and we can take care of it. I used to look at it as a community help style group that helps alot of people especially the younger once and those with low incomes, but seeing the pressure be put on many friends has made me change my mind. And i won't set foot back in that place, and i don't have any good words to say about them.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 1:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• well thats your opinion :] you should probably re-evaluate the way you talk to people tho, its called manners, source?
    Misslondon

Comment by Misslondon (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• The basics of birth control, in my opinion, should still be taught in home by parents. Planned Parenthood offers the statistics of the "pull out method" but its the job of the parents to inform their children that it shouldn't be as trusted as the statistics make it out to seem, and the same goes for the morning after pill. I honestly believe Planned Parenthood does a lot of good for women, and teen girls, that are rightfully informed of the basics by their parents. Too many parents assume their children will be taught all they need to know about STDs and unplanned pregnancies from high school health classes; I'm only 25 but I have two daughters and I know better than to assume they'll learn the hard truths in school. I know when the time comes it is up to me and their father to teach them about the dangers of having sex, even if they don't have sex in their teens - STDs and unplanned pregnancies can happen at any age.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 1:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• What was rude about what I said? I'm interested in your source that told you Plan B was ineffective.

And that's really not my opinion. Those effectiveness rates are fact.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Finley, wow, that's an insane story. I've used PP in the past several times for birth control, and have never had that experience, or known anyone who did. In the ones I visited there were posters up about abortion... but there were also posters up about adoption, and they had a counselor on site to talk about adoption (but not about abortion). They referred out to physicians for those services, though so maybe that's the difference.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Now after reading a few of the other answers, I don't know where those women are from, or which Planned Parenthood centers they went to but the one in my area offers counseling BEFORE they preform an abortion. I've never been in the position where I've had to consider that as an option but my sister was - she was undecided about what to do when he marriage fell apart just days before discovering she was pregnant but the people she spoke to could tell she was not fully decided on having an abortion and therefore they refused to do it. They offered her more counseling but told her they would not perform an abortion because they felt that she did not want to go through with having one - she didn't and praises the staff of Planned Parenthood because if it were not for them she may have ended up aborting her daughter.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 1:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011