Is it wrong for a teacher to punish the whole class for one kid's behavior?

Ds is in K.
The other K class gets a snack every day, ds's class doesn't. No big deal, K is only half day here, I thought maybe ds teacher just didn't want to waste precious class time on snack. But I found out today from another mom that their class DOES have snacktime BUT almost every day they lose it because of someone's behavior. In a class of 27 kids, it's always one of 3 boys. One kid disobeys and everyone loses snack?! What kind of teacher does that? I don't care about the actual snack, but feel terrible for ds to have to lose out almost every day because of someone else. He is always very well behaved in school and shouldn't be punished for what other kids do.

Also, Field Day is coming up. Last year at Field Day, ds' teacher had told her students not to touch the cattails at the edge of the field. 2 students touched them, so she brought the whole class inside and made them sit with their heads down. She was going to make the whole class miss out on all of field day because of 2 kids. (whose offense, imo, wasn't even that terrible...maybe those 2 should have sat down and missed a game as punishment). Luckily, a mom went to the principal and the kids were taken back out by another staff member.

Anyone else with a teacher like this? If you are a teacher, do you punish the whole class for what one student does?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I remember that happening when I was in school. I never did understand it. I think it causes more problems then it solves actually. I mean really, after something like that happens everyone is always mad at that one kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have 4 kids and I don't punish all four for what one does. That is just wrong. Its more of a punishment for the kid that did the wrong to see the other kids having fun or eating their snacks.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 1:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• That is just wrong.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 1:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Would you just let it go or try to talk to the teacher or principal?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I just sitting here thinking "I dare a teacher to try that with my DD's class!" Good for that mom on Field Day......I would have done the exact same thing!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• What a mean teacher! I would be heated if this was my kid's class and would definitely speak to the principal about it.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• That doesn't make any sense. Part of what makes punishment so bad is having to watch all the other kids do the thing you're being kept from doing.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• actually they are not allowed to punish by taking away any kind of food. You can report that, b/c it's not right at all. They are not allowed to take away outdoor play either, that's also required.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 3:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think the idea is that the belief is the other kids won't be happy with the "bad kids" about it, so maybe next time the "bad kids" will behave to avoid being social outcasts amongst their peers. ....It may be something that works at a 3rd/4th/5th grade level where peer acceptance is more important to the children, but probably not as much so with the kids in K. I don't really agree with it in all situations, but have seen it work as a child, where all the kids hate it when so -and-so misbehaves and gets on the kid about his behavior for making them miss out on ___________.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• or if they are not sure which boy is doing it they will punish the whoe class but i dont see the point of taking snack away that would be like taking supper away because they are bad and i believe that is neglect on the children and it doesn't work either
    countrygirl503

Answer by countrygirl503 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011