How do I get my 2 month old to start sleeping longer through the night or all the way through?

Mrs.Schelling

Asked by Mrs.Schelling at 10:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure she is warm all night.
    Next, when she wakes up (if still in her crib) I would sooth her, but don't pick her up. Then play some baby lullibies on real LOW....something with just music no words
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 11:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Get her on a schedule and a bedtime routine and stick to it as much as possible. I don't know how much she's eating but I also noticed the more my son would eat during the day the longer he would sleep at night. That's obviously not to say to stuff her though! That just happened to be what my son did on his own. I've heard starting a baby on cereal usually promotes better sleep at night but I refuse to give it to my son yet and he's 4 months now.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• You're not going to be able to get a two month old to sleep through the night. Expect to be sacrificing your sleep for the next year, maybe even two. Night waking is perfectly normal all the way up to two years old. For some good suggestions, read The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I don't believe in CIO, but if you do, it is recommended to wait until at least six months old. Sorry, not trying to be rude, but lack of sleep is what you signed up for when you got pregnant. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• 2 months is still kinda early to sleep all the way through the night. Mine didnt start until 7 months. But are you breast feeding? If you are then breast fed babies need to eat more often than formula fed babies. try switching him to formula at night, it might not get him all the way through the night but the awakenings might be less frequent. Also try limiting his naps during the day or putting him to bed a little later. Good luck
    SarahShirey

Answer by SarahShirey at 11:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• (con't)...Whatever you do, DO NOT give your baby cereal. The American Association of Pediatrics advises starting solids no earlier than six months. Babies digestive systems are fragile and undeveloped until around six months old. And though I've never tried it so I can't speak from experience, I've heard that the cereal=sleep thing is an old wives tale and doesn't really work.
    Anonymous

• (con't)....Don't go to formula at night either! That's a horrible idea! Breastmilk is best for baby. Also, if you're not on birth control and you are breastfeeding, switching to formula at night will greatly increase your chances of getting pregnant again. It will also have an effect on your supply, which is never good. I know not everybody agrees with co-sleeping, to each his own, but that's what I do. I breastfeed and co-sleep, and since I started co-sleeping, I feel much more rested, and my baby sleeps better as well.
    Anonymous

• Depends on the baby. My oldest lept through at 2 months. My youngest is 21 months and still doesn't. If you are breastfeeding do not switch to formula at night. This will just cause supply issues and help to end your nursing relationship prematurely.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• 2 months? lol...yeah i wish! my DD just turned 4 months and finally slept through the night last night. but i blame that on the fact she got her shots yesterday with a dose of tylonal. now she's lying awake in her crib, with me on the computer praying she'll go to sleep...lol. my son didn't start sleeping through the night until 7 months. some babies are good at that age, but later on aren't that good of a sleeper. good luck though, and by the way, i agree with anonymous at 10:06 (central time), don't give her cereal just to get her to sleep!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Whatever you chose to do is your choice and I'm not condoning anything either way. However, 1) My healthy formula fed baby slept through the night at 13 weeks. 2) My mother fed me cereal at 1 month and I'm alive and kickin' and 3) Breastfeeding is not a form of birth control period and therefore will not make a difference if you stop doing it at night. So please, don't believe everything you hear on CafeMom.
    Anonymous

• Studies have been done that show that in the first 3 months after giving birth, breastfeeding is 98% effective as a birth control method, under these circumstances: baby is nursing strictly on demand, no supplemental bottles are given, and the mother's menstrual cycle has not returned. Do you research before you bash what I have to say.

And I wasn't saying that giving your baby cereal before six months will kill them, but it is NOT what is BEST for them. And I don't know about you, but I'm all for what is best for my child.

I was also not saying that formula is all evil, but that if this mother is breastfeeding, she should continue to do so without supplemental formula bottles, because that would only cause issues with nursing.
    Anonymous