How do I get her to potty train??

I have a year old pekingese who absolutely refuses to use the bathroom outside.I can put her outside for an hour and as soon as she comes in she finds a place to use the bathrom. I have tried showing her the accident and taking her to the door and scratching her paw on the door, spanking her, using pee pads, walking her on a leash, and even locking her in a small area and keeping an eye on her and when she went to squat to go i'd pick her up and take her outside and she wouldn't go. I am at my witts end and am unfortunately thinking about getting rid of her. The fact that she's not potty trained is the tip of the ice-burg. She tears up everything I have to keep her out of my sons room or she chews up all of his toys, whe not only poops on the floor she has now started pooping on the couch and pooping and putting it in my bed and it is really pissing me off, she doesn't listen to any commands no matter how hard i try she just ignores me and she sheds awful. My husband and I bought her for my son because he wanted us to have another baby and I can't do to a hysterectomy. My son loves and so does my DH and I do too. I am just frustrated beyond words really.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

SunShine_31

Asked by SunShine_31 at 2:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pets

• You need to get her on a rountine. Take her outside give her about 15 minutes and if she does not do anything bring her back inside and put her in her crate(if you don't have one, get one) for about 10-15 minutes then take her back outside. You might have to do this a few times before she get the idea. When she does go outside give her lots of praise and a treat. It will also help if you feed her at the same time everyday. Take her out ever hour, treat her as though she was a 9 week old puppy.

She should not have full run of the house because she has not earned that. You should only allow her in the rooms where you are. If you have to, put up baby gates. Also you should never punish she for having an accident in the house unless you catch her in the act. Dog live in the moment so if it happened 5 minutes ago or longer she has already forgotten about it. Also hitting just teaches them to be afraid of you so stop that
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think there are probably changes that could be made to help your dog learn. First, you need a tiny little crate, confinement and supervision are the key for a good 6 months. Get in contact with a good behaviorist or dog trainer to help you come up with a successful strategy. Every dog can learn, some are much harder than others. As a last resort, you might even consider using a box with this small dog, but you really should get a professional involved at this point, or I am afraid this dog is not going to be staying.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Crate her, be consistant with walks and feedings, keep chew toys available, and obedience training works wonders! Good luck
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I bought puppy pads for my dog. He was a year old before he would use it outside. GOOD LUCK.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 2:29 AM on Apr. 24, 2011