Was smoking to blame?

a couple of weeks ago we were invited over to the house of one of my husbands coworkers. we took the whole family, kids got to have a movie party upstairs, while the adults visited downstairs. i was a bit shocked that they smoked in their house, i mean who does that anymore? so we only stayed for a couple of hours, and have not been back since.
but about a week later, my otherwise healthy kids, developed chest colds, and after the colds were finished they both got ear infections. we have been lucky and they havent gotten ear infections since they were both toddlers. so its makes me wonder if the smoking in the house caused it, it was only for a couple of hours and are not exposed to it anywhere elese.

kris356

Asked by kris356 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

• There is no doubt that being exposed to smoke increases your chances of catching respiratory infections. It could have contributed, but the ear infections were caused by the colds, not the smoking directly.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Second hand smoke CAN cause colds, but was the smoking of that evening to blame? You'll probably never know.

BTW....everyone I know who smokes still smokes in their house.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i don't smoke in my house...
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 3:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Do they have pets. I get a chesty cold every time I'm exposed to unfamiliar pet allegens. Some people are alllergic to smoke. Having an allergy attack can slightly weqken the immune system to let a virus in. Smoke doesn't cause colds, virus' do.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I get sick 3-7 days after being exposed to smoking in someones home. It sucks! And it sucks more cuz I rarely visit family cuz they smoke but both me and my son are asthmatic and I can't chance us both getting sick like that.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 1:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Yes, it is possible for colds and ear infections to happen after being exposed to second hand smoke. It can also increase asthma and allergy symptoms. There are some people's houses that I refuse to go to because it reeks of cigarette smoke.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I don't smoke nor do I allow it near my children for allergy reasons and I have heard that smoking can contribute to some health problems
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:09 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I guess it can happen, although I have never experianced it with myself or my kids. We occasionally visit houses where people smoke indoors
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 8:46 PM on May. 20, 2011

• Yes it can. Our ped is constantly on dh to quit smoking. He smokes outside and is supposed to not smoke in the truck but I KNOW he has because I can smell it. Demetri 7 months has had numerous colds and just finished his antibiotic for his 4thb ear infection. This time both ears were affected. On top of this he has had bronchiolitis 2 times in 6 weeks.

Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 4:50 PM on May. 22, 2011

• i know it can cause colds but ull never know for sure......theres a few cold bugs going around here right now
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:59 PM on May. 28, 2011