Anyone read 1, 2, 3 Magic? What do you think?

Everyone recommends this book...have you read it?

RN4kids

Asked by RN4kids at 11:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I did and it was very helpful for us.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I did and it is absolutely helpful. All I have to do is say to my kids "That's one" and they usually stop (if you have read it then you know what I am talking about). They know that if I have to say "That's 3" they are going straight to time out. We almost never have to go past 2 before they apologize and move on to something else. A lot of preschools and even into kindergarten use this method of discipline, or something very very similar. My sons preschool does green light, yellow light, red light, same principal to it. So it is good that he knows exactly what to expect as far as what he can get away with and what the circumstances will be both at home and at school.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my dad didn't have to read any book to use the 1,2,3 rule. the furthest he ever went was 2 and 1/2. i use this with my kids, and i think it works so well because it is giving them a chance to respond in time, as opposed to the very second you tell them. It gives a little time to think, and it gives YOU time to cool your jets if you're frustrated.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 2:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I like the concept of 1-2-3- magic...but I've been told by others who've used it that once the time out is over then you go on as if nothing happened. She was punished and it's to be put to rest...my question is..where is the learning? i want my child to know why she is put in time out with words so she begins associating her actions with discipline. After time out is over I want her to be able to acknowledge why she was put in time out.
    The school uses it as basic discipline...I've also heard of the "stoplight" approach. I've modified it to fit my daughter's behavior.
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 12:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2009