Thoughts on children's beauty pageants...

There are shows like "Toddlers and Tiaras" and "Little Miss Perfect" that are about children in beauty pageants. Cafemoms, do you think it's wrong for parents to put children in beauty pageants or do you think it's ok, or what?

Diamond2010

Asked by Diamond2010 at 2:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I hate how they dress them to look like mini adults. I hate that they allow their child to b fed that beauty (w talent) b rewarded, when the focus is on beauty. N y in the world b excited about that? There is obviously some influence that beauty shd b merited.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think it's ok IF the child wants to be in it. But personally I don't like how they put makeup and fake teeth on a 5 yr old, then put her in a bikini with sky high hair and tell her she's beautiful. They look plastic and it weirds me out. Now if there were no makeup, no fake teeth (flappers I think they are called?) and had to wear Age Appropriate clothing, I wouldnt be so weirded out. If they let the little girls be Little it would be ok. But that's jmo
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• That's not the kind of things I'd want either of my daughters to be involved in. It stresses importance on all the wrong things. The shallowness of it all is bothersome to me.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Ever notice how a vast majority of the moms on those shows are clearly living vicariously?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think pageants are fine. I would let my daughter dress up and wear make up. But she would not have lumineers, a diet plan, or a tan. And she would only do it if SHE wanted to.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Pageants are fine. I just don't like the way they dress em up like adults. Let them be children and act like the children that they are. Diets, makeup, bikinis in my opinion are goin to far.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 4:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I let my kids enter the all natural ones they have at the local malls. No make up, no fake teeth, none of that is allowed in the natural ones. The kids love them they all get a trophy every kid does that enters. My kids think it is fun they play dress up meet new kids from town and make friends. I would never do the other kind I can not imagine spending that much on hair and make up let alone the dresses they use, but to each their own. I do wish however that people would see not all pageants are toddler and tiara types. Some of us "pageant moms" kids only see 3 or 4 pageants in their lives and they never get to wear make up of fake hair and teeth.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think pageants are horrible. Anything that compares children on their looks is wrong, IMO. There is enough pressure from society as there is. We don't need pageants teaching them from the time that they're toddlers that looks matter and should be a competition. To each their own, but I would never subject my child to something like that. I also think that a lot of the women that get their children involved are living through their children, and that's pathetic.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't agree with it. I think it is teaching girls at a young age, if your not BEAUTIFUL then you are not a winner. I think girls with pigtails are cute. I think girls with a lost tooth are cute. I also think girls should NOT wear makeup at such a young age.

Not into it.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It's not something I would do with my children. I know a couple of people who do them "just for fun." But even if you don' go to the extremes the moms on that show do it's very expensive. My kids aren't going a hobby that costs hundreds of dollars.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011