Summer Enrichment (Summer School)

In my culture it is something nice the parents do for good kids. Here in the US some people see it as a negative experience where only dumb children go. My child is bright intelligent, reads very well and doing fine with math. She will be going to her second grade. There only two seats left and it costs 375 dollars. Should I register her, or just let it go.

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 3:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As a teacher, we only offered summer school to those who were falling behind. If the school follows the same policy, keep her home. Some parents were all for it cuz then they're kids had something more productive at the school than at home watching tv.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Here, I do feel that it could be more productive than staying home. The school district offers it to anyone, as an effort to earn money. They offer all kind of classes, I just thought it could be a great experience for her to preview the second grade material... I guess if this is only for those who falling behind she should stay away...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 3:14 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Our school offers summer school to any and all students. Its more of fun and games with learning mixed in. It only last a month. It is a free program. Usually, if the funds are there, they offer the kids a cash bonus of up to $100 dollar for not missing any days and they decrease it for days missed. For a mother like me with 4 children that $100 dollars helps with school supplies and cloths for the next year. My kids really enjoy going. Last year they didn't have the funds for the cash bonus but I still sent them and they still wanted to go.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 3:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• In the younger grades it's probably OK. My son had to go after 7th grade because he failed 2 classes. He was introduced to a class of kids he never knew existed. They were rough. They all talked back. They smoked. The police were there. They taught them, but no one expected these kids to learn anything. I would never send my child by choice. You could do Huntington tutoring for extra help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If she wants to go and you money isn't an issue then why not send her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My 8 year old has made the honor roll all year and she's going to take the summer off and enjoy herself. Now if it were mandatory due to her passing, I would definitely pay it.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• if you want to register her go ahead and do it don't worry about what others think it is your decision and you know your daughter better then anyone else does.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't send my kids to a summer school, but we continue with their education while on break. We use summer solutions, three times a week for about an hour. Some people seem to think their children will miss out on having fun during summer.

They don't miss out on anything.

Send her if you want. How can education be wrong?

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• How can it be wrong? Exactly in a way mompam describe. Children perceived and consequently learn delinquent behavior. Stigma, not so good teachers... I don't know... it is open virtually to everyone from every school.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• What she has described is not typical. What you describe, is not the typical summer school. You asked what you should do, I just gave my opinion. Summer school here, is not usually paid for. Sounds like a different program you want to send her to.  Sounds good, and it will probably do her good to meet new people.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011