Pregnancy after a miscarriage

I just lost my first baby at 6 weeks and my husband and i are wanting to try to conceive again but I was wondering if i do become pregnant how can i know when to take a pregnancy test and to help avoid another miscarriage.

My first miscarriage was the cause of my husband having a positive blood type and me having negative and my negative antibodies had attacked the baby, so now i have to get a shot as soon as i know i'm pregnant again to avoid another miscarriage.

sclee1205

Asked by sclee1205 at 4:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• With most home pregnancy tests, you need to wait until your period is due for them to be accurate. When your doctor told you about needing a shot, he should have also given you better directions on taking a HPT and following up with his office for a shot. You should call and ask for clarification. My guess is that you may need shots throughout your pregnancy. I'm sorry for your loss. I had them too, but my doctor gave me no medical reason for them.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I am sorry for your loss. as far as how will you know when you are pregnant - that depends on your body. I have found out I am pregnant as early as 5 days before my missed period, but I have known people who didn't get a positive pregnancy test until they were 3 months gone. How regular are your cycles? If they are regular then it won't be as difficult because you'll know when you due on and can request a blood test.
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 4:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Thank you both for your response. I did start having normal periods for 6 months before i found out i was pregnant. How long does it usually take before I do get a period again. I passed the baby naturally on April 8th. and stopped bleeding 2 days after that and haven't bleed since.
    sclee1205

Comment by sclee1205 (original poster) at 5:21 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You can test as early as a few days before your missed period and continue testing until after you're late and that should cover it
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2011