When do you stop having children?

I watched this show about a family with eight children. Six of these children were autistic. The two that were not autistic were relied heavily upon to help with the others. I personally don't feel this is fair. I think after two autistic children or special needs children I would stop. Personally I think this is all my family could handle. These people were not able to work, their house was destroyed, and none of them seemed to ever get sleep.

A second show I have seen recently had four children with Cystic Fibrosis and one without. Not sure where the one without fell but I do remember this child was relied on a lot as well.

What are your thoughts?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 4:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I personally believe that each child is a blessing and I'm not one to say when another person should stop having children. Having 1 or 2 special needs child shouldn't be sole reason to stop. You are only fertile about 1/3 of your life and you should take full advantage of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• wow...I don't know, I personally wouldn't be able to handle that many autistic children and would have stopped after 2 or 3. That is a lot of responsibility for those parents and who is going to take care of the children when the parents are gone? My oldest dd went through a lot of behavioral/social develoment therapy before they finally diagnosed her with low muscle tone/developmental delays/adhd but for a while they thought she had autism and I was so scared for her. I couldn't imagine having 6 with autism.

L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would stop at 3 mormal or not normal kids
    kittycat813

Answer by kittycat813 at 6:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I am of the firm belief that God closes the womb. Having said that, I do believe in personal responsibility and every child should be wanted & cared for.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 7:06 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i believe that each child is a gift from the Lord and rather they have a health issue or not they are still loved
    sissy852

Answer by sissy852 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• The two that were not autistic were relied heavily upon to help with the others. These people were not able to work, their house was destroyed, and none of them seemed to ever get sleep.

This kind of life benefits who? Living like this is fair to who? Definitely not fair to the two non-autistic children. If neither parent works who supports the family? They should have stopped after maybe 2.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't think it's fair to tell someone that they shouldn't have more children based on the fact that the ones they have are disabled. Maybe the parents love and accept their children for who they are regarless of the childs disabilities. Disabled people can have happy lives too, your perspective may not be able to see it that way. What you're seeing is tired parents, no money, and a messy home... but the truth is that this describes MY home sometimes, but I still love and accept every member of my family and wouldn't change a thing. A person with a disability is a person FIRST and they deserve to live and be part of a loving family too.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It is difficult to have an opinion about these things because there is that child that gets lost taking care of their siblings, and it's sad.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2011