Has this ever happened to you?

You  make a friend in elementary school and she is your best friend and the she moves away when you are in the 5th grade.  You lose contact with them for a number of years and then find each other again.  At first they are all friendly and such and then all of a sudden they won't return your phone calls or emails. 

Here is the post I have in my journal--

"I found a elementary school friend on Facebook and friended her she accepted and we started talking and would talk every day on Facebook or send each other some type of message it went on for about month and a half to two months; I sent her a Christmas card and got no response; have sent her messages about once a week and nothing; sent her a Valentine's Card and no response.

Then a couple weeks ago got this message from her--"Sorry, I haven't gotten with you. Most of the time, I'm just exhausted. I haven't had a 2 day weekend in a month. and for my one day off I've either driven to illinois or up north for one day with my kids and boyfriend. We are trying to buy a house in Greenville. My very own house. I'm afraid to even talk about it because I've lost so much before. Your mom would be so proud of you. I am so proud of you. Love ya"

We were best friends and inseparable from kindergarten through fifth grade when she moved and we lost contact with each other.

My question is would you continue to stay in contact with her and send her messages or would you just leave it alone.

It hurts tremendously because we were so close and when she started contacting me back she acted like there was never any time between us that we weren't in contact with each other. I don't treat people this way and it hurts to be treated like this.

Just wondering what you would do. Please no bashing or negative remarks" 

So my question is would you be hurt or would you just move on or what.  Thanks

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd say it is like any other friendship grown apart. Since 5th grade you two have had different experiences and you no longer have the common ground that you did in 5th grade. It was great fun that you met up again, but she has her own life now, and it seems that you aren't going to be added to it. So time to move on with your life, too. You had an unusual pleasure in finding your old friend and catching up, so you can look back on that part with a smile.

Answer by Bmat at 7:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No I wouldn't be hurt. I would just figure that we had grown up differently and had nothing much in common, had different interests, different everything. So there would be no point in staying 'friends'. Friendships end for a huge variety of reasons, that's life.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No, I wouldn't really be hurt. I've friends I went to elementary school with and then lost touch for years and years. Some of them, we've picked up where we left off and talk often; others, we just chat casually every now and then and aren't really friends anymore. I don't see it as a slight. I see it more as we were good friends years ago, they were a special part of my life, but at this point we are very different and our lives just don't mesh in a way that allow us to be close friends anymore.

I'd also consider that perhaps something has happened and she's unable to answer you right now. Maybe she's had a family emergency, or is working a ton of hours at work, or something like that. I'd just leave it alone and see if she gets in touch with you at some later date.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I had a friend like that that gained so much weight i did not know her.It was very tense when she kept asking .so you do not know me?I was sitting with several ladies and finally just said i am sorry but no i do not know you...i asked her name,as soon as she said it omg!All i could think to do was say well haven't we been prosperouse?She laughed and i guess all was fine.But i never pretend i know someone when i do not .I ask simply can you tell me your name as i have lost my mind?And it always brings a smile and then no wondering,or getting called out like that again!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 10:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2011