My sister refuses to potty train, etc

My neice is 2 1/2 and really wants to use the potty. She even tells her mom that she wants to go. Thing is my sis just tells her that she doesnt know what she is talking about. She also gets told that she just wants to do it bc my sister is using the potty. She refuses to let her go in the potty at all. She goes potty for everyone else as long as you take her. Also you have to know this, my sister is quite lazy. She doesnt even teach her DD to use a spoon and fork. I havent said anything about it. or about anything else really (there's more stuff that bothers me.)
Like the fact that she wont teach her DD to talk and screams at her bc she cant understand her. Sis has even told me that she wont teach her talk bc she can teach herself. We are total opposites but love eachother a lot. We are very close. My question is : Should I confront my sis or just leave it alone like I'm doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Confront her! That child needs to learn, and she's not doing anything to help. I'm sorry to say this, but if it's that bad, you can turn her in. kids don't need to be treated like that, family or not.
    Anonymous

• i agree shes neglecting your neice maybe turning her in will give her a kick in the butt if not if u cooulkd handle it get custody of her and teach her
    calandrasmommy

Answer by calandrasmommy at 11:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• What she is doing to that poor child is a form of abuse - it is NEGLECT!
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 11:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• That is very sad! A child asking to go potty.. I only wish mine wanted to go. She has no idea how lucky she is and to be too lazy to take her daughter to the potty is just wrong. Her not teaching her to talk is disturbing as well too. I would get evidence of all of this and try to get custody so your neice has a fair shot at life. At this rate she will have a very hard time later, esp when her mom won't help her with homework or teach her basic life skills.
    Anonymous

• i agree with 11:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 by: Anonymous. step in do something b4 its too late
    Anonymous

• I definately agree, it's a form of neglect. You can't expect kids to teach themselves everything. If she's too lazy to take her to the potty, is she changing her diapers?? Confront her about it for that poor baby's sake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Next she won't feed her because she can learn to cook for herself. Good night, if that were my sister, I would petition the state to take custody of that poor child!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• She should let her daughter try the potty if she wants too. Is she nuts?? Does she know how many moms would love it if their 2 1/2yr olds requested the bathroom?? It's not a good idea to discourage it.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 5:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My nephew had a mother like that she did not teach her kids the things that they needed to know do you know that child protective services consider that abuse. Your sister is hindering her kid and im sorry but your niece dose not need to be in that house it is a bad environment for her. My brother finely got custody of his son and her other son went to cps now here mom and dad have him. My nephew was already delayed because he is a downs baby but her other son was fine and he is so far behind most kids that it is crazy.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I hope that you make the rite chose for the kids in that house even if it means that the kids are taken away from your sister. You or your parents or even other family members could get the kids from cps and they would have a better chance at growing up on grade level. Your sister could then go through parenting classes and get her kids back. You need to think of the kids first and for most. I will pray for you and I hope that you make the rite chose.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008