Does it annoy you when your friends constantly talk about how smart their kids are?

It's really getting on my nerves. I have a few friends who do this. We all think our kids are super smart....no reason to go on & on & on about how much of a genius your kid is. I feel like saying "why don't you just come out & say it...say that you think your kid is smarter than everyone else's"

It doesn't bother me when i hear excitied moms talk about their kids & their progress, i can totally understand that & have done it myself. BUT there is a line that can be crossed when bragging about your child & i find it very annoying. Anyone else with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• One thing a lot of bragging moms forget to teach their kids is to be humble. The parents should follow suit. I was at a first grade awards assembly last month and there were like four awards given out. Super Citizen, for chidren who go above and beyond in the classroom with helping classmates, etc, Perfect Attendance, the BUGS award (I don't remember the acronym but it's for improved performance) and FGI (full grade improvement for children who were struggling). The mom next to me was going on and on about her child getting the BUGS award, and FGI. My Zoe got the Super Citizen. She looked at me and said, "Oh, your daughter only got one award? Blah Blah Blah. . ." I looked at her, smiled politely and replied, "My daughter has perfect grades. There is no room for improvement." I felt bad afterwards, but atleast it shut her up.
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 10:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It can be annoying but I just nod my head, smile and hope she moves on soon.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:12 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I know what you mean, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who sees my kid objectively. I see his strengths but I also see what he needs to improve on as well. I'm not delusional when it comes to my kid.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I totally agree w/ you. We all think our kids are wonderful so why do they brag so much?
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It does not bother me at all, it shows how much they love them.

Answer by older at 9:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well their hearts will break the 1st time their kids screw up.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Next time, ask if the child is in their school's gifted program. If they are that smart, they should be. That might get the subject to change.

My personal feeling is that grades are inflated.  I don't see teachers handing out average grades these days.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It doesn't bother me. I also do it.

And yes, my kid was in the gifted program from 1st grade(when they started) and on...LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• well at least your freinds don't actually come out and say it. I have a 'freind' who actually says, outloud, that her kid is smarter than eveyone else. Yes, he's in the gifted program. And she makes sure everyone knows that, over and over. Her kid tells everyone "my mommy says i'm the smartest one in the school". He's only in second grade and he's annoying as can be about it. But my husband and i laugh about it (and don't tell the mom b/c we have more class than to come out and tell her) that her kid is not well socialized, lacks any physical skills, and is just weird. He plays NO sports, b/c he doen't like to sweat, she says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• And he doesn't have many freinds, b/c she will only let him play with other kids who are in a gifted program. When our boys first started school, they played together. Then she found out my son was in speech class, and would not let her son play with mine. Then this year, she found out my son was at the top of the class, and she's allowed her son to play with mine. But my son has made other good freinds (nice, normal boys) and they are not freinds. The only other 'gifted' kid in the class is moving out of state, and now her son has no friends. It's really sad for the kid, that mom is such an acedemic snob. And she doesn't have any freinds either, b/c all of us moms got tired of hearing about her brag and literally come out and say that her kid is better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2011